Snuggles

What does it mean when your dog throws up yellow vile

My dog threw up yellow vile today. She is an 11 month old puppy. I was wondering what this indicated. Someone suggested it could indicate hunger. I am also concerned because I gave her her monthly heartguard pill yesterday. Do you think she threw that up. I gave it to her last night and she threw up the yellow vile this morning.

Asked by Snuggles on May 2nd 2010 in Health & Wellness

Answers

How often are you feeding her? Larger dogs past 6 months do fine on one meal a day, but smaller ones will do that if not fed enough meals. If it continues, I would look at a feeding closer to bed time.

I would hope the heartworm pill had been digested. She should be Ok unless you saw it come up.

Yellow or white foamy bile vomited up is most likely just due to an empty tummy, especially in a puppy of this age. It's fairly common.

If she has no other symptoms at all, try this experiment:

Feed her at her normal times and give her some dry snacks (dog biscuits) every few hours in between meals and once before bed and once when she gets up in the morning. Just a small amount is good (one biscuit is fine.)

Try this for a few days. If she seems better, you know it's just bile from being too empty.

If she has any other symptoms or they persist despite having something for her tummy to work on, then consult the vet to be sure she's not got something else going on.

As for the heartguard pill, if you didn't see the pill, and it was at least a few hours from the time she ingested it to when she vomited, it's probably at least partially digested/in her system.

Good luck with her, she's very cute.