PEPPY

What does it mean when your dog sounds like he has a hair ball he makes this sound like he is trying to cough a hair bal

he sounds just like a cat that has a hair ball he does not do it all the time please help

Asked by PEPPY on Mar 31st 2010 in Health & Wellness

Answers

Jet

Your dog is probably hacking. Has he taken any new medication recently? That is rarely the case of an allergic reaction.

Jet hacks all the time, and it is totally normal.

Jet answered on 3/31/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

He may indeed have an obstruction. See your Vet ASAP.

He is sick he needs to go to the vet

It's not really normal for a dog to be hacking all the time, especially if it's a new symptom.

It can be any number of things and I think I'd take this dog to the vet to be sure because you want rule out a partial obstruction or injury to the trachea or esophagus and also kennel cough, which can cause a seal-bark style hacking cough.

The trouble with saying it's "normal" is that it can be caused by retching or true coughing and it's important to rule out any moderate to serious reasons for this symptom first.

As most of the others have pointed out, there are many, many things that can cause this, and many of them can be very serious. Heart problems, just for one example, often present as a hacking cough being the only symptom. Others were mentioned... trachea problem or collapse, kennel cough, sinus infection, inner ear infection, pneumonia, and the list goes on. If this is a new symptom, I would get to the vets ASAP, otherwise, I would take the next available appointment and get it checked out and treated.

Cocoa

We adopted our little girl in December and she, too, would do this coughing/hacking thing. I took her to the vet just 4 days after her adoption and mentioned it to the vet. Vet said if it doesn't get better to let her know. Seemed to calm down for a while,.but she never stopped completley. I called the vet's office a few weeks ago and said she was still doing it, but vet said as long as nothing is coming up, she is fine and it's just a dog thing.

Problem is that now she is doing it more again. I think we treated her w/antibiotics after first vet visit, just because she had all kinds of worms and icky stuff from her former shelter. Like I said, she was better for a while, but now she does it every hour or two. Can we do anything to relieve the hackiing? I will call the vet, but seems like she's convinced it's just someting our dog does. Happens most upon awakening or after activity.

Cocoa answered on 4/12/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer