what does it mean when my dogs tail is down??

i think it might be beacause his best friend(my other dog.) is gone hunting. his tail was up when my other dog was here. would that make my dog sad??

Asked by Member 522121 on Oct 27th 2007 in Behavior & Training

Answers

Chloe Chanel

well, mommy know's if my tail is down there is only there things wrong:

1. sick
2. sad
3. in touble!

i really think he is just sad!

Chloe Chanel answered on 10/27/07. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Cadillac CGC

a tail between the legs is body language for 1. in trouble 2. sad 3. sick.

a tail above the back - sticking up- is body language for 1. dominance 2.fight

a tail even with the back or hanging comfortably, not tucked or lifted is body language for 1. happy but not dominant 2.submissiveness to you or another dog.

the best is always an even tail.

Cadillac CGC answered on 10/27/07. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Oliver PAWS

1. sad

2. scared

3. unsure

Oliver PAWS answered on 10/27/07. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

I'll be the odd answer out. :)

Dogs communicate via body language and their body language is actually extremely complex.

While humans instantly recognize some *parts* of canine body language as meaning specific things - such as a tail wagging meaning the dog is happy and relaxed - they often don't take into account that the rest of the body language is just as important in determining how the dog is feeling.

The same wagging tail I mentioned above can also be a sign of dominance and aggression depending on the rest of the dog's body language and expression.

That's one of the reasons I always cringe when I hear owners say, "Don't worry - he's wagging his tail. He's being friendly." Is that why he's posturing, trying to establish his dominance over my dog?

My question would be to you - what is the rest of your dog's body language like? Dogs can definitely be and act sad - no doubt about it. But you'd need more than the tail to go by to determine that.