what does it mean when a female dog tries to have sex with another female dog?

i have 2 female dogs and 1 of them keeps trying to have sex with the other.
was just wondering what it ment and why she is doing it?

Asked by Member 785431 on Dec 31st 2008 in Behavior & Training

Answers

♥Tiffy♥

There are several possible explanations for this behavioral change.
Mounting behaviors occur due to sexual hormone influences, dominance
behavior, anxiety, and sometimes as a sort of obsessive/compulsive disorder.

♥Tiffy♥ answered on 12/31/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

Well she isn't trying to breed her, no. Female dogs will mount another dog in dominance, or if she is about to be bred, may mount the male to try to entice him. She is trying to dominate your other female, which is not uncommon, but needs to be stopped. When you see her attempt to mount her, touch her in the neck and tell her 'no'. Make sure she keeps away from the other female - this shows she respects you enough to give the other dog boundaries. The touching in the neck simulates a dog's bite and tells your dog that what she is doing is unwanted by you, the leader. Make sure you are VERY persistent in getting her to stop doing this, or she will just continue. Please message me if you have any more questions. Best of luck.

This isn't about breeding. It's about either play or dominance. Only when a female is in heat and a male starts humping her is humping actually about breeding.

Charlie Pete

By my experience, I would agree this is dominance. I had two females in the house...got along well. Then added a male boxer-greyhound mix. After a year or two the female golden retreiver started humping the other female...a younger, less dominent mixed breed (everyone in the house except me was de-sexed). I did interpret it as dominence but took the approach of letting them sort it out. It progressed to neck 'nibbling' them all out attacks. Ultimately had to re-home the retriever. I wish I had intervened sooner.

Charlie Pete and JessAnneMarieLouise's mum

Charlie Pete answered on 12/31/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Jesse

I have been meaning to ask this question myself. I wonder if it is learned behaviour too, as a friend's neutered female did it to Jesse, who is a neutered female. Then Jesse did it to another friends neutered female, but she had never done it before. I definitely agree it is dominating.

Jesse answered on 1/1/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer