What do you do to keep your dog from chewing on his raw tail?

We went to our ranch where our beagle played in the grass and woods. We came home and noticed him chewing his tail down to the raw skin. Now he wants to chew it and it is getting worse. How do we resolve the issue and stop him from continuing to chew on his already raw tail?

Asked by Member 999860 on Aug 8th 2010 Tagged beagle, chewingtail, rawskin in Health & Wellness

Answers

A cone collar. I'm having similar issues with my dogs because the fleas have been absolutely murderous this summer and trying out a cheaper brand of flea meds didn't help. (Well, it's more complicated than that, but I won't get into it right now. I'm 100% certain it's a flea issue though. For one, I've been finding fleas on the dogs lately and before I never saw so much as one.) Treader scratched parts of the back of his ear raw and there are other parts of him that are healing up from the start of flea season.

Anyway, a cone collar will keep him from chewing his tail so it can heal. I'd also apply things to it such as antibacterial cream.

Sonny

He's not chewing for fun. Something is bothering him. Whether he's picked up a flea bite, Sarcoptic mites, pollen - whatever it is....

See your vet to find out WHY he is chewing his tail. The Vet can set you up with medication/treatment and a cone.

Sonny answered on 8/8/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer