what do i feed my male pekingese? He wont eat? Also he has a lot of hair loss and I have adopted him how can I help him?

I adopted a pure white pekingese form a shelter he is well behaved and a great pet, But he has sores and lots of hair loss . He wont eat and I am worried i dont know what to do?

Asked by Member 800835 on Feb 4th 2009 Tagged sickdoghairlossnoteating in Homemade Food

Answers

BiBi

He must be not feeling well, especially in pain. My Pekingese refused to eat and later I found out he had arthritis.

BiBi answered on 2/5/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

What you need to do is immediately take him to the vet. If he isn't eating and has sores, how much fun do you think this is for him? Take him and they'll do skin tests on him, blood tests on him and give a thorough once over and hopefully find out what is going on. If you can't take him because you can't afford it, then see if you can work something out with the vet.

I recently lost my little boy Curly (A toy poodle) because he would not eat. I wasted much time and much money taking him to Vets that did not understand the true nature of a loved pet that will not eat, no matter what you try to feed them. If you are going to save him you must act quickly and not hope, think, blow it off, or accept lip service without result from any one (Meaning Vets). Ask around and seek a Vet that understands internal medicine for small animals. Better yet find an internal medicine Vet. If your current Vet did not offer anything or firm answers. I can assure you that unless you know the cause you will just be wasting your time, money and subjecting your pet to unnecessary procedures. With the visit and the exam they should do a complete blood work up.
Blood work will reveal what is going on. An internal Med Vet can interpret better then a reg Vet. Do the complete work up which will cost about $140. The blood work cost should include a urine check. Have them check stool for blood and parasite.

My peke was the same way. Turns out pekes and small dogs are prone to acid reflux disease and every time she'd get reflux she wouldn't eat for days because her throat hurt. I give 1/4 of a human Pepcid AC tab before breakfast every morning and the problem is solved. I tried stopping after 3 months and she stopped eating again. It took a few days to heal the esophagus and then she was back eating as much as I give her, which is only 1/3cup twice per day of Science Diet dry + small treats occasionally.

(Pepcid AC is 10mg of famotidine. I give 1/4 tab/day, which is 2.5mg per vet's advice)