What do I do if my dog erection doesn't go away and it causes him to not walk and it hurts.

My 1yr old has been fixed for a year now and I have a female in heat, and of course he's been trying to mount her. Well this morning he had his first erection after being fixed and tthen today he had another and how it's stuck and he's not walking he's crying and been that way for 30 minutes now. Will it go away on it's own or is there something I can do to help?

Asked by Member 855954 on Jul 16th 2009 in Spaying & Neutering

Best Answer

Wait just a bit longer. When dogs breed, the bulbis glandis (the part that causes the penis to "swell") keeps them from separating and can take anywhere from five minutes to an hour to go down. When a dog is mating, this is referred to as a "tie" and is believed to the time when the most sperm is released.
The bulbis glandis will kick in whenever stimulated, whether the dog is breeding with a female at the moment or not.
If it lasts any longer, get him to a vet.

However, the above was assuming that what you're reffering to do was swelling. If it's just sticking out, and looks "normal", it may be stuck there by hair. In which case it behooves you to try to straighten out the sheath, and the hair that may have gotten caught between this and the penis.

I go through both of the above with my neutered male Papillon mix now and then. Part of owning a male dog, I guess.
~Tiffany

Cookies 'n' Creme (1998-2011) answered on Jul 17th.

Answers

Rambo

I was told by my vet, when that happened with one my dogs, to use warm sugar water and pour it on it until it goes back in.

Rambo answered on 7/17/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer