What do dog owners prefer, wire dog crates or plastic dog crates?

Asked by Member 805953 on Feb 18th 2009 Tagged cage, crate, wire, plastic in Carriers, Crates & Kennels

Best Answer

Chance

I agree with your other poster, wire crates are easier to clean & roomier. I'm also able to see inside in case someone needs out or decides to destuff their bedding. I like that they have 2 doors (so positioning is easier) & my wire crates all came with dividers that I use when I'm taking more than one dog back & forth to the vet. Plus when not in use they're collapsible.

Chance answered on Feb 18th.

Answers

Sparky

All dog owners are different, but in my opinion, I like plastic dog crates better since they feel more sheltered. My dogs can't stand wire crates, they have to have lastic dog crates, I guess since they feel more secure in those.

Sparky answered on 2/18/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Brutus

I've always used a wire crate, 2 reasons... it's easier to clean (with the pull out tray), and the plastic crates aren't big enough for my crew.

Brutus answered on 2/18/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Rusty

I've had both, but my current dog will not use a plastic crate at all. No matter how I tried to get him to use the plastic crate, he wouldn't even step inside. I put his food in there, toys, treats - he would stand at the door and cry. When I set up his wire crate, he went in for treats the very first day. All that said, it depends on the dog.

Rusty answered on 2/18/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

I prefer wire crates, but the little plastic ones are better for traveling.

Bandit

The thick wire crates that is the only kind that kept Bandit in. Bandit could bust out of the thin wire ones and he broke the plastic one and chewed it up.

Bandit answered on 2/19/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Bridget aka Bad Pants, Ruby Ru

If the dog is staying in them unattended. I recommend the plastic cage.
On the wire they can get something stuck if they really try to get out. Dog below is prime example!!
If using wire do not leave a collar on especially a choker. I have had this ding bat get her head stuck her leg her foot. I had to put a brass snap on the bottom of door. She is a real trickster. But that is a dog who will hurt her self. But on a plastic crate she will chew it. So if the dog is massive I would use wire but take precautions if they are hard to hold.:)

Bridget aka Bad Pants, Ruby Ru answered on 2/19/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Zackintosh CJ

Its a personal choice, which one you like better and which one your dog is most comfortable in. Some dogs get claustrophobic/panicked in a plastic crate, and others go nuts if they can see out of a wire one.
I use both, a big wire crate for taking him places, going to shows etc. and a plastic one for riding in the car.
Just to warn you, don't ever, EVER leave a dog in a plastic crate on a warm day 70 degrees or more, as plastic holds heat in and makes it far more dangerous to leave the dog in a car.

Zackintosh CJ answered on 2/19/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Big dogs should be in a wire crate, with a pull out tray, and a confy matress for them to lay on. Smaller dogs IN my opinon should stay in a plastic crate cause it makes them feel safer.

Roxie, NPC

I perfer the wire collapsable crates because they are easier to transport. If I am going to agility.. I can fold down my crate and put it in my car. I also have a big plastic crate, but I would have to have a van or pickup truck to even fit that crate inside.

Roxie, NPC answered on 2/21/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer