What could have cuased our dog's death

My mom's nearly 9-year-old mini dachsund died over the weekend. He had a heart murmur and was overweight, but he had not been ill. Mom said he was panting the night before. He would usually pant when he was hot until he heard the Ac come on, then he'd stop, but he didn't that night. I didn't have an autopsy because mom blames herself. But she found him in the morning, dead. His eyes were open and it looked like the blood vessels had burst in both eyes and he was bleeding from them. What could have cuased his death? I guess I'm wondering if he suffered.

Asked by Member 996256 on Jul 9th 2010 Tagged death in Loss of a Pet

Answers

First, I'm SO so sorry for your loss. It's a tragedy to lose a dog under any circumstances.

As for what he died from, I can tell you that a dog with a heart murmur that is overweight is going to be much more prone to heart disease. Doxies are small dogs so when they put on weight, it's a huge strain on their little bodies. When we see a dog who is 5 or 7 lbs overweight, we sometimes think, 'Well, that's not a lot of extra weight." But that is because we tend to relate that amount to OUR bodies and not theirs. What might seem insignificant for us is sometimes a full fourth of a dog's normal weight that is added on in extra poundage.

The panting would indicate some kind of heart issue. When the heart starts to fail, the body heats up and also the lungs fill with fluid, which makes it that much harder to breather. The heart can slow down or speed up and make the panting worse. He likely died from heart failure of a stroke, more likely if he had blood vessels burst in the eyes.

Candy 4/13/99 - 2/8/09

I'm so sad for your Mom...It must have been the worst thing to wake up to. This fear has had me sleeping with more than one sick dog.

To add to what Jack posted:

During congestive heart failure an animal will have a hard time getting air, so will pant. The lungs fill with fluid reducing the ability to draw enough air. He may have retained a little more fluid, so he may have looked even fatter in the last day.

Lack of oxygen and a failing heart together will cause the petechial hemorrhages you mention in the eyes.

Generally once the deterioration gets critical, they pass very fast. Nature is merciful to it's creatures.

There may have been nothing anyone could have done to prevent this death. But I'm sure it would have been preferred to have been with him when he passed. So sorry.

Candy 4/13/99 - 2/8/09 answered on 7/10/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Kazba

I am also sorry to hear about the loss of your dog. I am well aware or heart murmurs since i have had three dogs with them. It was more then likely he did not suffer much at all but just had a heart attack that took him. We all blame ourself and think we could do more, but many times we can not. I am sure he knows you did all you could. Just try to think of the good times and take your time. Once again i am sorry about your loss.

Kazba answered on 7/12/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer