what causes vomiting, diarrea, loss apetite, lays around?

My 1year and 6months old Red Nosed Pitbull just all of a sudden three days ago started vomiting and wouldn't eat or drink. Then he got the diarrea. He started eating then he's right back to the same. He doesn't get excited or beg or even get in the trash like he has done. We have tried to take him into the vets but they won't work with us cuz we ain't got alot money. So what does he have and can we treat at home?

Asked by Member 1145955 on Dec 19th 2012 in Illness & Disease

Answers

Only a vet could tell you for sure..BUT..it sounds like he may have ingested something. It may not have been toxic enough to kill him & has now worked through his system..lucky for you both!
It could also be a blockage..something is obstructing his intestinal tract.
He really needs to see a vet. No one can give you an answer online.
Look into Care Credit, or low cost clinics. Good luck to you.

I would try another vet? Some vets will take payments. I also agree you can try Care Credit. Your dog really needs to see a vet. Good Luck!

I'd try another vet, but in the meantime you've gotta get some fluids in the dog. Try a low-sodium chicken broth warmed up. If that works, switch to a mixture of half unseasoned and cooked ground beef and half white rice (long grain, not minute rice). If he can keep that down, start slowly adding in dog food until he's back to his regular food.

Here's a great website that shows dosage information for safe over the counter meds by weight. I use immodium and Pepcid for upset stomach at my house a few times a year.

www.walkervalleyvet.com

If it were me, I'd beg, borrow, and scrape to get him to the vet. He's probably terribly dehydrated and you could be looking at something more serious than a "bug."