what can you use on a dogs eye for irritation from foreign object?

Asked by Member 810477 on Mar 2nd 2009 in Health & Wellness
Report this question Get this question's RSS feed Send this question to a friend


  • Cast your vote for which answer you think is best!



The first thing I would do is take the dog to the vet. Self-treating an eye injury is NOT recommended, in any circumstance.

The vet will put a colored drop into the eye and look at it under a special light to see if there is a scratch to the eye, the cornea or any other type of injury which might need special treatment. There is NO way to see this sort of thing with our own naked eyes, so just looking at his eye isn't enough to be sure it's not seriously injured. A lot of times, serious eye injuries don't appear serious unti they are properly diagnosed by a vet.

Any time there is an eye injury, you have to treat it like it's an emergency so the sight isn't jeapordized.

As for irritation management, the vet can give you an inexpensive small bottle of eye drops which will soothe the eye and manage any bacteria that could have been introduced.

Good luck!

Jack answered on 3/2/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer


I second what Jack is saying. If you dog is bug eyed like my boston they sell eye drops for dogs who are constant getting hair and dust in them.
But for any injury or such do what Jack recommends. Never try to fix anything as sensitive as an eye. It could be much more serious than you know.:)

Dieta answered on 3/2/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer


Being part Cocker, my dog's eyes sometimes get a little irritated. The vet told me to use No More Tears to flush them. But, as the other posters said, if it is scratched, take your dog to a vet.

Dahlia answered on 3/3/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer