Bobo

What can I put on my dog's paw to stop the cracked paw?

My dog takes walks everyday and we ususally walk on the street which is cement. I tried to applied ointment for soft paws for my dog. It does not seem to work.

Asked by Bobo on Dec 17th 2007 Tagged paws in Alternative Treatments

Answers

Oliver PAWS

I hear that lotion works good.

Oliver PAWS answered on 12/17/07. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Chloe

Since this is how Bobo's feet are going to continue to be because we all love walks, it sounds like maybe buying a specialty product for her paws might be a good idea.

Voila - it's BowWow Butter Balm from the Happy Tails Canine Spa Line:
www.happytailsspa.com

I have personally bought a product from this website before & was very happy with the shampoo. It's comforting to know that this product is safe to put on her paws since she'll probably lick it at first, and the site notes that it can be rubbed on as a preventive measure too! Talk about a thoughtful Christmas present for Bobo!

Happy Holidays,
~Chloe

Chloe answered on 12/17/07. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

There are a lot of different products out there that you can try and that work to varying degrees (depending on your dog and your situation). It's also very important that when you crack a paw pad, the pad has time to heal so you don't keep re-tearing it.

A good product that is easy to find is Bag Balm. It comes in a square green metal tin and is sold at most drug stores. In my area, I can also find it at WalMart where it's sold in the dog aisle.

Another good product is Soothables Tender Foot Pad Creme. They sell it at some pet stores. If you cannot find it at a pet store, try an online working dog supplier like Ray Allen K9. They usually carry them.

Lastly, if tender paws are a big problem and you keep cracking pads no matter what, you may want to give some consideration to a quality pair of booties, such as Muttlucks (not the fashion ones they sell at the pet store!), to help protect your dog's paws.

Lucy Mae

I would recommend Bag Balm. It is a product originally for farmers to keep the udders of their cows from getting chafed and cracked. It is also terrific for humans. It is relatively inexpensive, and you can often find it in the grocery store!

Lucy Mae answered on 12/18/07. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

Aubree

I had the same issue, and I found that "udder cream" work very well. It is lotion that my owner used.

Aubree answered on 12/21/07. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

RiQui

the great thing about the bowWOW Butter balm is that it's shea butter based. Bag Balm is petroleum based-- you don't want your dog licking that off! Yuck!

www.happytailsspa.com

RiQui answered on 12/21/07. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer