What can I feed my dog to make him lose weight because he is a Chihuahua and he is extremely over weight and I am worrid

I have a 4 year old Chihuahua and he is extremely over weight and I am worried about him he loves to eat anything you are eating and he love bologna he wont hardly eat anything else and i dont know what to feed him to make him lose so weight..I am afraid that he is going to get very sick if he dont lose so weight..

Asked by Member 651468 on Jul 9th 2008 in Obesity

Answers

Start exercising him more:

walks
runs
playing(chasing balls,frisbees)

Decrease the quantity of food you give him.At good pet stores you can find dog food which is made for dogs on diet.Your vet might recommed a good brand

Lily

Find a good dog food with meat and no corn or wheat. Feed him the minimum amount listed for his DESIRED weight, add green beans or pumpkin or cooked carrots if he gives you puppy eyes. Watch the treats. They add up fast especially for a small dog.

No human food except limited veggies. Bologna is not good for him at any time. Maybe one bite after the weight is down, but not any more than that. Way too many chemicals for a small body.

Wait him out on the food. If he gets hungry enough, he will eat. May need to add warm water or use canned food. I am at this point with the cat. I changed her food to a better one and she is on strike. I am tougher than a seven pound cat!

Walk him often. Short often walks.

Good luck. Remind yourself it is for his health. Being overweight stresses joints and internal organs.

Your dog depends on you to be the caretaker of his health. It's up to you to do so.

Lily answered on 7/9/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

Limos

let me put it this way.. in China, when sandstorms destroy all the grazing area for the sheep, they eat sticks and rocks. a dog will eat a rock too, if he's hungry enough, so just give him at most a cup of food twice a day, of whatever you want (I'm thinking a bit of kibbles, little mince, little potato/vegie, or just kibbles& can food) and he'll eat it sooner or later. don't worry about his stress hormones when he spots the dish!.. dieting is hard for everybody XD at least he'll move on pretty soon. absolutely no human foods either, that's LOADED with addictive chemicals.

Limos answered on 7/10/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Dylan

What everybody above us here is saying is absolutely true. Just wanted to add that if you must have a snack or a treat - try raw baby carrots - we love them and they keep our pack fit n trim. We also like it when our mom microwaves some turkey bacon and it gets real crispy and we get one bite once in a while. It is hard to lose weight, but if you excercise more and eat less, it will come off! Good luck!

Dylan answered on 7/10/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

What can you feed him? How 'bout less than you have been? LOL

Seriously, the answers you've already received are great.

More exercise and less of a higher quality food are a great start. Make sure he gets at least two walks per day, and try playing with him in the house or backyard at least 10 minutes a day. Playing fetch or chase is a great way for dogs to burn off extra calories.

If he's not used to any exerise, go slowly and maybe work up to this routine. Like people, overweight and sedentary equals out of shape and suddenly increasing activity can mean injury or soreness or stress on the heart.

You're right t be very worried about his weight. Feeding him things like bologna is extremely dangerous. Dogs who get too much fat in their diet commonly get an inflamation of the pancreas called pancreatitis. This is quite serious and often kills the dog.

If you don't change his diet and stop giving him people food, he WILL get sick.

Good luck, you can do it!

Lucky Lawrence

start taking him on more walks you dont even have to make him run..that or play fetch or something that is fun for him and you.also its not always about the food you give him but the amount of food given...don't give him more than needed...and if you give him human food dont give him the bad stuff...give him vegetables like carrots. hope i helped.

Lucky Lawrence answered on 7/10/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer