What can I do to reduce the excessive shedding of my Pug?

I feed her the correct food, I give her Brewer's Yeast tablets every day and I brush her at least once a week but she still sheds like crazy.

Asked by Member 455782 on Sep 21st 2007 in Shedding

Answers

Winston

I'm not sure there's a lot you can do to stop the shedding but I do recommend using the Four Paws Shed'n Blade! It works awesome on taking a LOT of hair out of short haired dogs, especially right after a bath as I'm drying.

Here's a link so you can see what it looks like:

www.animalworldnetwork.com

You could probably find one in your local pet or feed store. Good luck!

Winston answered on 9/21/07. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 2 Report this answer

★ Panda ★

What correct food are you feeding? Does it say on the food that it guarantees less shedding? What kind of shampoo do you use when bathing? People shampoo is bad and should never be used on dogs. You need a quality shampoo that says its going to help get the dead undercoat out. Also conditioners help. You can also try getting the furminator. It works great!! It is changing temperatures now so dogs are going to shed.

★ Panda ★ answered on 9/21/07. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Bella

Well, as mom of two pugs, and three other dogs, I will tell you that my smallest dog, my female pug sheds more than any of the other dogs. She has a very dense undercoat. My other pug is more single coated and sheds much less, but pugs shed year round. We also recommend the Furminator or Love2pet shedding too. www.love2pet.com

How often do you bathe her? You don't want to bathe her too often as it will dry out her skin, but every two weeks or so +/-, and that will help loosen lots of hair.

Bella answered on 9/21/07. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

King Dudek (1997-2008)

Maybe you need to look into another type of food. what are you feeding now?

Maybe read up on raw/barf/holistic or even home cooked.

King Dudek (1997-2008) answered on 9/21/07. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer