Titch

What can I do to make my dog love me again?

I love my dog so so much.
I adore him.
Basicly, I do everything for him, I feed him, I walk him everyday, I play with him, I do everything for him.
No one in my family really botheres with him to much as he's my dog and my family arn't great animal lovers.
He used to sit on my lap all the time, the second I sat down he'd be next to me.
Recently, He doesnt like to sit with me.
I have to pull him up just to get him to sit with me, but after a couple of mins he gets back down.
If my mum happens to look at him he flys out of his bed and gets up with her but she pushes him down after.
If i call him he just slowly waggs his tail, but doesnt make any effort to sit with me.
It breaks my heart, It feels like he doesnt love me.
What have I done? What can I do to make him want to sit with me again?

Thanks.

Asked by Titch on Aug 29th 2010 Tagged sofa, sit, pet in Behavior & Training

Answers

I don't think you did anything. Some dogs love everyone in the house. Like even though Bridget is his dog she still wants love from me.
But, it seems like my dog wants to only be with me. She will follow others when I am gone or for food, but she is like my shadow when I am home.
Try treating him to sit by you. Sometimes if you are pulling on his collar it is sending him a negative signal. Like maybe he feels nervous you touching his collar. Maybe tap your leg and treat him instead, once he sits in place, praise him for doing so.
If he is like my Boston, he gets sick of attention, he is more independant then anyone in the house. He doesn't like people hanging all over him unless food is involved. He would rather have his space instead. :) they are all so individualistic in their own ways just like us. :)

Dogs don't "love" the way people do. But they do acknowledge the leader-of-the-pack, which it seems is your Mom.

He sees you as an equal under Moms leadership. It's not bad, but I know it bothers you. Do you train him? Dogs follow the person that asks them to behave, not the permissive person in the house.

Other possibilities to consider:
Illness...either he, you or Mom. Some dogs are very sensitive and will either attach to someone sick or reject them. The illness may be physical, emotional (stress), chemical like cancer, diabetis, mental illness (depression), epilepsy, heart disease.
If he is sick, he may feel Mom is the one who takes him to the Vet so he is imploring her to help him.

It's hard to know without seeing you with him, I am just tossing out ideas, hope you figure it out.

Pepsie

If you spend the most time with this dog then think of it like this:
He sees you alot
He sees your mom who he doesn't cuddle much with
It's like you you see your mom everyday but when you see your grandmother, aunt, grandfather, uncle you don't see them often and you go over to them being loving and excited
you did nothing wrong

Pepsie answered on 8/29/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer