What can I do to help my 11yr old male samoyed for his back hind legs are shaky and cannot support his weight anymore?

Asked by Member 788505 on Jan 7th 2009 in Arthritis

Answers

The best thing to do is take your dog to the vet right away. There might be something they can do. I don't want to sound negative, but eleven years old is an age they have problems with joints. My German Shepherd had the same issue. We gave her glucosamine and healthy food. She lost a lot of muscle mass after a while and there was nothing else we can do. I would just take your dog to the vet and see if there is something they can do for him. I used to work at a vet for two years and there isn't much you can do on your own if you do not know what exactly it is. Good Luck and I hope everything turns out well.

Rosy

It's important that your older dog is not overweight, that just adds to his hip problems. It's possible he has hip dysplasia. You can support him going up and down stairs by using a sling. Be sure he isn't having to lay for extended periods on a hard surface. Don't ask him to jump on or off anything. Your vet may give you Rymadil or, if you can't afford that, sometimes just an Ecotrin (coated aspirin) a day will be enough to soothe the inflammation.

Rosy answered on 1/7/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Stormy

If you still want your dog to be mobile, nowadays they make carts for dogs with leg problems. They are like wheelchairs but for dogs. They can be made for dogs with front leg or back leg issues and Ive seen dogs do GREAT with them! Its one option.

An example site:
dogkarts.com

Stormy answered on 1/7/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer