What can I do to help a dachshund with separation anxiety

she has been suffering from separation anxiety ever since one of her owners died almost a year ago.She has been passed around 5 different homes, before she came to me. I was able to resolve all the other issues she had, she now eats , does not mess in the house, but she cries when left alone. what can I do to help her?

Asked by Member 1144371 on Dec 9th 2012 in Behavior & Training

Answers

How long have you had her? Sometimes it takes a while for them to settle in. You can try leaving her for a few seconds at a time and give her a REALLY YUMMY treat when you come back. Slowly extend the time. You can make it a game. Good Luck!

Merlyn

Good information on the blog the other end of the leash - written by an animal behaviorist - Patricia also has some good step-by-step books on this site for behavior issues - love this author!

Merlyn answered on 12/9/12. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Wiggles BN

I have to give my doxies something to keep them occupied, I use the treat balls with some kibble and a high value treat inside to get them going. I also will leave the radio on (quietly).

Wiggles BN answered on 12/9/12. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Buddy

we rescued a lab who's original owner died and was passed to a women that worked 12+ hours and then he came to us. there is usually someone in my house but he would get very anxious if we all left and would race around the house, bark stand in window and on furniture and well that wasnt ok, and it made us feel bad leaving him. i was skeptical when someone first reccomended a "thundershirt" to me, but it has a satisfaction full money return gaurntee so i tried it... it worked great for him! it seems silly i know, my dog is 80lbs and was wearing a grey jacket but it really calmed him down when we left and his reaction when we came home. we use it when we have company as well because he is not fond of unknown people in his house...our other lab is scared of storms and very old and so we also tried it on her and she laid in her bed and slept through the storm. if you dont want to try that they also sell calming pheremones that you plug in lie an air freshner but ive never tried those

Buddy answered on 12/11/12. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Like the other post said, you can get her a Thundershirt to wear. You can also take it a step further and spray a calming spray on it and on her bed or favorite area. I personally love PETfection Calming Spray because it is 100% Organic and non toxic. It is safe to spray on the collar so your dog can breathe it in throughout the day. Naturally the pheromones from it will help relax. You can use it as often as needed too. I hope this helps!!