Zoey

What can I do to get my 2 female dogs to stop fighting?

I have a 3 yr old female Pit Bull X and a 3 yr old female Cattle Dog/Collie X (both spayed). They have been living together for almost 2 1/2 yrs. Recently, they have been acting differently around each other. Just this last night they started fighting worse than usual and it ended in bloodshed and now I have them seperated. Is there anything I can do to make sure this doesn't happen again? Or will it keep happening?

Asked by Zoey on Nov 30th 2011 Tagged fighting, females in Aggression

Answers

Anubis

I had a problem with my dog similar to that. You should look into the Dog Whisperer Show. I watched tons of that. No tricks, just true pack understanding. Basically they 'stare' down the other dog you correct them. If they hump one another you pin the offending dog on his back. Basically you show your dominate over both of them. you protect them and act like the dominate, and only dominate member. worked wonders. Also have used on the rehabilitation a very aggressive pitbull. worked great on her too.

Anubis answered on 11/30/11. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Unfortunately, even the dog whisperer might suggest they be separated.

I would have both dogs checked by a Vet to see if there is an illness (thyroid can cause rages). Consult a behaviorist, it's cheaper than stitching up the dogs.

Harder still - don't let it upset you. Dig in and insist they behave. These are two strong willed breeds, not surprising they clash.

Put both on a strict NILIF method (google it) Keep them well exercised and don't play favorites. They don't get to make choices, like where to sleep at night, you make it for them. Watch body language for warnings. Use down or sit stays all the time for control. Leash and muzzle if needed.
Continue to crate or separate.

Good luck. I have been able to get Snickers and Sonny to live well together after a nasty fight last May, paid $2,000 in Vet bills - OUCH!