What breed of dog is the most intelligent.

Asked by Member 745132 on Oct 1st 2008 Tagged intelligent, dog, breed in Breeds

Answers

Rascal

I have been told that Poodles are the most intelligent with Border Collies running a close second. My personal experience with Poodles have led me to believe it.

Rascal answered on 10/1/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

♥Tiffy♥

Poodles!

♥Tiffy♥ answered on 10/1/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

It depends on what you want the dog for...If you want a dog that is "smart" in obedience then an obedience based breed...If you want a dog that is smart in tracking, guarding, etc. you'd want a breed that does that.
My Great Pyrenees are highly intelligent, independent thinking problem solvers...If you want a push button obedience dog then one might not think they are smart but they are extremely intelligent.

Blade

As a matter of fact the most intelligent breed of dogs are Australian Shepherds. This is true. The second most intelligent is the Border Collie. Border Collies are like the cousin to Australian Shepherds.

~Hope i could help!

Blade answered on 10/1/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

I've always been told that the Border Collie is smartest, with the Poodle, German Shepherd, Shetland Sheepdog, etc following closely.
However, this is a very hard question to answer. The study that lists the BC as the smartest seemed to go how easily the dog was trained. Some breeds are more stubborn than others and hard to train. Just because a dog is stubborn doesn't make it "dumb". The herding breeds (Border Collie, Collie, Sheltie, etc) seem to be the easiest to train (and the one who need the most exercise), but they may not be the smartest. Each breed was selectively bred for a different job. So, honestly we'll probably never know for sure which breed is "the smartest".

Jesse

I haven't met every breed of dog, but after having a Siberian Husky, I believe they are up there in intelligence levels. You will not find them on a list though, because they are not trainable smart. They are too intelligent to do something just because you told them too. If it doesn't suit her to sit, or come, she won't. You can almost see her brain ticking away, working out if it is in her best interests to obey you. All the Huskies I know in Husky Heaven are the same.

Other times, she will blow me away, like the other day I let her in and her Daddy was still asleep. I told her to 'go sneaky sneaky' and she practically tiptoed into the bedroom and very gently climbed onto the bed. Daddy never heard or felt a thing til she licked him. Normally, it is a full tilt run and leap on the bed, but she knew what I meant by Sneaky.

Jesse answered on 10/2/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

tobias

Sometimes its not the breed but the one training the dog. I like a dog thats got personality more than anything.....
A dog can learn alot of things but if it hasnt got little individuality its like a chia pet.

tobias answered on 10/2/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 2 Report this answer

Darcy

I was told that Jack Russels are intelligent. Also, Boston Terriers. I just got my first Boston in June, she is almost 6 months, and I would have to say she is pretty intelligent, I have been pleasantly surprised by her!

Darcy answered on 10/4/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer