What breed gets along with a Lab? Looking for one that is a bit calmer than my female lab.

My lab needs a playmate and need to know what breed would be best. I don't have a fence so I don't need one that is really large.

Asked by Member 1069397 on Nov 8th 2011 in Choosing the Right Pet

Answers

Sanka- I'll Miss You

Any breed. You have to look at the individual level.

Meet with shelters or rescues and have meet n greets with the dog YOU like and your lab. See if they mesh/like each other. That is the best way to find a good match.

You should only get a second dog because YOU want it. You should never get a dog for your dog.

Sanka- I'll Miss You answered on 11/9/11. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

I agree with all that Sanka posted, and would also like to point out that you need to do some serious thinking on getting a second dog UNTIL you have some sort of fencing or kenneling to confine them.
It is extremely common for one dog to stay home perfectly until another dog joins the family, then BOTH dogs will go exploring and roaming all over the place, everytime the door is open.
Without a fence it is most likely that they will need to be tied or chained, which will immediately end their ability to play with each other safely as well.
And, most areas do have leash laws which will make it quite costly should they be picked up for running loose.

Any breed can get along with your Lab. Post the question again and give us the qualities you would like to find in a dog and what you like in a dog. There's a lot of things that go into owning a dog and a lot of things to think about before getting another one. Answer the questions below and post your answers in your next question so we can get a feel for what dog breed would be best for you. -

What size of dog are you wanting?
How much grooming can you handle?
Short, medium or long coat?
How many hours a day will you be able to train and socialize this dog?
How much exercise will you be able to provide this dog each and every day?
What activities (if any) will you get this dog involved in? What would you like to do with this dog, activity wise?
Do you want a protective dog?
Do you want a dog who barks a lot?
Do you want a dog with a low, medium or high activity level?

I also recommend you post in this Dogster forum so you can get a breed match - www.dogster.com