What are the signs of infection after neutering?

My dog was neutered on May 22nd and the area around the incision is pink. It doesn't feal hot but he'll hardly let me touch it. I'm concerned for him but I'm not sure if I'm just worrying too much. Unfortunately I caught him a few times jumping on the furniture and I'm wondering if he's just irritated the stitches

Asked by Member 839251 on May 23rd 2009 in Spaying & Neutering

Answers

If you're worried whether it's infected, then take him to the vet. They'll take his temp and maybe do a swab of the area and see if it's infected. Is your dog lethargic or not eating normally?
My dog got a mild infection about 3-4 days after his neutering and the reason I noticed was because he wasn't acting like his normal self. His incision was slightly red and inflammed, but it was his lethargic behavior that made me take him to the e.r. vet and sure enough he had an infection.
Be on the lookout for your dog to be lethargic or not eating normally. That can be a sign of the dog not feeling well. But, to set your mind at ease, just go to the vet.

Baxter

If in doubt take him in to see vet for possible infection, would be better for someone to see it then to guess.
Usually that is one of the signs. And they can give you some more antibotics if it is getting infection.

Baxter answered on 5/24/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer