Leila

What are the signs of a dog ready to attack - or the signs of an agressive dog ?

I recently went to the dog beach with Leila & I ran into these 2 men with 2 dogs & I felt that one of their dog's was going to attack Leila! I would like to know the body language of a dog ready to attack, or in attack mode. I would like to get out of a situation if it were to happen any time soon. Leila is not agressive, she's very dog friendly but just in case, better safe than sorry, thanks!

Asked by Leila on Jul 21st 2009 in Aggression

Answers

Ozzy

Well some signs are
-Growling
-Snarling
-Curling lips
-Mounting people
-Lunging
-Snapping
-Blocking your path
-Barking aggressively
-Biting

If your dog shows these signs, DON'T IGNORE THE DOG!

This is were I got this info:

www.unclematty.com

Ozzy answered on 7/21/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

Katie

Hi Leila!

I agree with the other post, and here are a couple more links that may help you:

How to recognize and deal with aggressive behavior - www.k9techsupport.com

How to get away from a dog that is about to attack - www.ehow.com

I also recommend reading The Other End of the Leash, by Patricia McConnell, Ph.D., and Calming Signals, by Turid Rugaas. Both these authors live on sheep farms with working dogs, and both are also behaviorists who consult on mild to severe dog aggression issues. Their descriptions and recommendations regarding this kind of behavior, and the photographs in their books, should be of tremendous help to you.

When you're at the beach, Leila should be off-leash so she can move freely, away from the aggressive dog(s). As she is well socialized, she will probably have good judgment and get away safely, so don't anchor her to you with a leash in a tense situation. Good luck!

Katie answered on 7/21/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 2 Report this answer

Here is a link for you to check out.

www.ehow.com

I sometimes walk by the dogpark and often stop and observe the happenings going on inside. It's interesting how well you get knowing which dog could possibly pose a problem simply by their body language or by the way the dog walks into the park and how s/he greets others. Try going to the beach without your dog and just observe the dogs and try to figure out which dogs seem dominant simply by their body language. You'd be surprised at what you notice and learn simply by watching.
Have a good one.

It can be a difficult read. But, I like the idea of going to the beach by yourself and observing. I'm going to do that too.
My dog has seriously body language issues and because of that, some dogs go after him, even from afar, because there's something in his body language that they feel threatened by or don't like and I can't seem to read it. It's tough.

Most of the signs the first poster listed, are too late to respond. Get a book called "Canine body language" by Brenda Aloff. Some of the signs my pup displayed are excess drooling, ears alert, slow wagging tail, stiff body, tongue flicks. If you catch the EARLY signs, you can prevent the lunging, growling, more severe behaviors.