What are the pro's and con's of having a female dog fixed?

I'e heard it shortens their life span, makes them fat and can change their disposition. My Fancy is 4 yrs. old and has never had a litter and I am debating on having her fixed because I don't want her character to change!

Asked by Member 584882 on Apr 9th 2008 in Spaying & Neutering

Best Answer

Kobe

here is a good study on long term effects of neuter and spay. When you paste the site ina browser, make sure there are no spaces between the letters.

www.naiaonline.org

Kobe answered on Apr 9th.

Answers

Layla

I dont know of any cons. I grew up with a labrador retriever who was spayed and she lived to be 15 years old....much longer than most dogs her size.

I think all of those things you mentioned are a bunch of bull.

The biggest pro is that you will not have to deal with her heat cycle as well as being very very very careful to keep her away from any unaltered male dog. Your chances of an unwanted pregnancy are VERY high with an unaltered female. Peruse Petfinder.com and see how many unwanted dogs are out there and understand if you dont get Fancy spayed you will be added to the problem.

Layla answered on 4/9/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

Lily

Layla is right on all counts. Plus, unspayed females have a much larger chance of getting mammary cancer. Unneutered males are more prone to prostate cancer. All my fur girls have been spayed, and I've never had an overweight dog. The super playful ones stayed that way, the quieter ones didn't change at all either. Why anyone would want the bother of a bitch in heat is beyond me.

Lily answered on 4/9/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 2 Report this answer

Marlowe, CGC

It doesn't shorten their lifespan. In fact, it increases their chances for a longer healthier life. Unfixed female dogs are at great risk to develop something called pyometra, which is an infection of the uterus, and it can be deadly. With spaying, the uterus is removed, and the risk of pyometra drops to zero.

Spaying and neutering does not make dogs fat. It can slow their metabolism slightly (as does getting older, and it happens in humans too), but to compensate for that, just feed a little less and up their exercise. I have four altered animals in my house (2 cats, 2 dogs) and _none_ of them are overweight despite the fact that they range in age for 4 years old to 12 years old.

The only way it changes a dog's personality is to remove their drive to reproduce. And to me that's a major bonus to altering. To not have my dogs at the whims of their hormones is a big plus.

Marlowe, CGC answered on 4/9/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

Her risk of pyometra is increased each year that goes by un-spayed without having a litter. I'd say go for the spay. My friend's un-spayed female got Pyometra when she was about 8 and had to have an emergency spay - it's a very dangerous condition. It's better to get a spay done under healthier conditions. I've had 2 spayed female dogs (one as a child and one right now) and neither got fat or had a changed disposition.

Miss Buddie

As everyone has said, having your dog fixed increases their life spans and their quality of life. All the animals in my house are fixed and they are all the same lovable nerds they were before they were altered.

Miss Buddie answered on 4/9/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

Pros:
She won't have any messy heats.
She will live LONGER.
She will be focused on people.
She won't add to pet overpopulation
It may even have health benefits, such as reduced risk for mamerian cancer.
Cons:
NOTHING, ZILCH, NODDA!

MYTHS:
Spaying my dog will make her fat.
It will shorten her life span.
It changes her temperament.

Answers to those myths:
Spaying you dog will not make her fat. She will, however, get fat if you give in to her appetite, as many people do.
It will NOT shorten her life span. In fact, without the danger of becoming pregnant (which will shorten her life span), she will most likely live longer.
It does NOT change their temperament. If anything, it makes the dog more focused on people, which is good.