Fudge The Pug

What are the different ways to clean a pugs wrinkle?

I clean my pugs nose roll everyday. first using a q tip dipped in hydrogen peroxide then using a cotton damp with baby oil i clean the nose roll and the folds below the eyes to get rid of the smelly tear stains. any other suggestions?

Asked by Fudge The Pug on Oct 23rd 2007 Tagged pug, noseroll in Grooming

Answers

The best thing to use for cleaning the nose roll is a plain old damp wash cloth.

To keep them clean longer, you can use a small amount of ear wash, which is usually antiseptic and antimicrobial with a touch of aloe, on a square bit of gauze to rub the wrinkles clean with.

I wouldn't use hydrogen peroxide or baby oil on a dog.

Here's why: The hydro peroxide can burn the skin very easily, even if it doesn't appear to irritate it, it can hurt.

The baby oil leaves a film that bactria can get trapped underneath and if no air can get under the film, you have ended up making the situation worse, which is obviously not your intention.

I agree that a damp cloth, using only water, is the best means of cleaning the folds on a dog like this.

However, make sure that you completely dry the folds since moisture can be a breeding ground for bacteria and yeast.

If you're having to do this often, please take the dog to the vet to get a prescription cleanser or medication that can be used in the folds.

Cute dog!

Tugg

I use a damp cloth and then dry his folds with a sfot cloth. After this a bit of baking soda to dry up the moister that may be left behind. Visit Pugvilliage.com you will find answers there as that site is all about the lovely PUGS in our world.

Oh the peroxide can and does kill off healthy cells so I would avoid it at all costs.

Tugg answered on 10/24/07. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

Mai

Hypoallergenic baby wipes or special puppy wipes (which are pretty much the same thing) will work well because they are pre-moistened and disposable which is a plus if there's a lot of gunk. I agree with the other posters, no hydrogen peroxide (though your intentions are good!). Very, VERY cute pug by the way and I like all his cute dirty wrinkles! :-)

Mai answered on 10/29/07. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer