Diesel

What are the best toys for dogs that love to destroy things

I have an AB puppy and AM Staff mix and we have yet to find a toy that they have not destroyed in less than a month. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Asked by Diesel on Jul 27th 2009 Tagged indestructabletoys, strongtoys, chewtoys in Toys

Answers

The ultimate is the Souper Size Galileo Nylabone. It is about 7 inches long and 3 inches around. It has the slick surface. They are more attractive if you rough up the surface with sand paper or by rubbing it on a concrete floor.

Note, they may be calling them ''Dino'' bones now.

Miss Buddie

We have the best luck with the toys made by Kong. Miss Buddie is Captain Destructo with her toys but her Kong is still in great shape a year later even with heavy chewing.

Miss Buddie answered on 7/27/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Sawyer

the only toys my dog doesn't destroy is a nylabone... although your dog look reasonably bigger than mine :) so i don't know if it would work for you... good luck!

Sawyer answered on 8/4/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

Darla

Nylabone is the only thing that I won't find in little pieces. It satisfies their urge to chew and is safer for them then bones or rawhide according to my vet.

Darla answered on 8/5/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

♥ Ginger ♥

A jolly ball! Zoos give these to the lions and tigers to play with. So, they are really strong.

♥ Ginger ♥ answered on 8/15/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Halle

Although our Golden, Halle, is not destructive of things not hers, she can go through just about any soft stuffed toy or GummiBones in
nothing flat. She loves her "Baby" Kong that I gave her as a puppy 6 1/2 years ago and it is still her favorite. NylaBones are by far the best for heavy chewers and they are good for
keeping the teeth and gums healthy.

Halle answered on 3/2/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Squire

have you tried the chompion? It's a dumbell shaped tough rubber toy. My rottie loves it and has not destroyed it after over a year. Also, go to planetdog.com. They have toys that are given chomper ratings. My rottie loves the balls that I got for him from there.

Squire answered on 3/3/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Shadow

I have 3 dogs - Black Lab, Black Lab/Boarder Collie & a Beagle. They all LOVE Nylabones and we have several in all shapes & sizes. They also love their stuffed animals and I don't mind when they destroy them, they are theirs. Also to cut down on costs of them I go to our local Salvation Army I have found several brand new stuffed animals for them from $2-$5. I tend to buy the bigger ones because they last longer and have more fun with them.

Shadow answered on 3/3/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

Max

My American Pit Bull, aka Tek the Destroyer, seems to have no love for the Galileo. However, we have had lots of luck with the Extra Large Kong and with a couple of items by West Paw Designs. Huck is a ball that had made it six months with only a few teeth marks. Hurley is a bone shaped toy that seems to have about a a six month life span and is inexpensive enough that I don't mind replacing it. Hurley made it about four months and is now in two pieces which are actually quite good now for indoor games of fetch, Good luck!

Max answered on 3/3/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Molly

www.petsmart.com

JW Pet Good Cuz/Bad Cuz Dog Toys

Hello, Molly is a tuff chewer. She likes to eat fabric, dog beds, toys, anything. She is a jack russell terrier, so destruction by chewing is a game. We buy the round ones of these JW Pet Good Cuz/Bad Cuz Dog Toys. They have squeakers in them, so the dogs love them. Our dog Daphne is a tad gentler, but not by much. We buy her the ones with shapes like a cat or duck. They are really tough rubber, but still have the fun squeaks going on. I've tried the squeakers made from tennis ball material, my dogs go right through them. They are not crazy about Kong unless there are treats in them. These are a great option for very playful dogs that love to chew. We replace them about every 6 months, but not because they are worn out - simply because there may be a puncture mark or they are filthy from dog mouth slobber. Petsmart usually has a big selection of colors, sizes, and shapes.

Molly answered on 3/4/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

Duncan

I am a power chewer. I usually has stuffed toys destroyed in a matter of hours. Mom even purchased one of those no-stuffing , no squeaker fur toys, the cheetah ,in a few days it was just a scrap of cheetah fur. But last year for christmas Mom saw the Fat Cat Scary Kitty Toy on sale so she got it for me. It has some tiny holes in it and the sqeaker is dead, but I haven't gotten any of the stuffing out and I still play with it on an off.

Duncan answered on 3/8/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Stumpy

i liked the 2-liter bottles. you just need to rince the boddle out (with cold water) and remove the lid, the plastic rap that goes around it, and never let them play without supervision!!

Stumpy answered on 4/24/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Desta

I love to see just how fast I can tear apart any toy I have! So far I haven't been able to destroy my teaser ball by jolly, I've managed to put a lot of bite marks in it but it's still in one piece. I also have a good assortment of good cuz, bad cuz balls all still with working squeakers. My Mom will also find or make stuffed toys that are cheap just so I do have something to tear apart; I get a nice sense of satisfaction of a job well done. But my favorite is a good ol' water bottle, I feel I'm doing my part in recycling, they are good and flat by the time I'm done chewing and thowing them. Kongs are good but only for peanut butter, why would I chew up the thing that holds my all-time favorite snack. I like rawhide sticks filled with, of course, peanut butter, my Mom gets these at my vet's and they last a few days. Happy chewing!

Desta answered on 6/8/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Ace

My APBT has just to chew threw her rope, however my cousin's APTB undoes the knot at the end! We use water bottles recycles and a great toy! We also stay stocked up on extra large rawhide bones so Ace and our mutt Monster does chew up everything else...

Ace answered on 6/9/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Isabelle RIP

I have a few different Nylabones that Isabelle loves, just make sure they are the ones for aggressive chewers. We had one that wasn't and Izz destroyed it and then threw up large plastic chunks.

Isabelle RIP answered on 6/13/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

CODY 2010 R.I.P.

Our carzy boxer suffered from COPD (Compulsive Obsessive Popping Disorder). Balls of any kind any size popped within seconds. So I needed the ultimate.

Got him this huge 16-in. Jolly Ball. It a non-destructive ball for horses. Bright red, made of hard plastic - even harder than Kongs. Like Big Wheel material. No handles either. Can fill it up with water, sand or rocks with a screwed on top.

Our boxer rocked this ball. Couldn't destroy it. You can't. Cody had a blast rolling it around the yard bouncing off the house & trees.

Play Hard,
Steph T. :)

CODY 2010 R.I.P. answered on 6/20/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

Caleb

I am a Border Terrier and I can destroy a stuffed animal dog toy in under 5 minutes and I can chew a 6" Bully stick in the same 5 minutes! My mom buys a toy called Dirty Rotten Kitty from Fat Cats. There are different sizes and types, but they are indestructible. The squeakers last more than a month and the toys last close to forever. Since I weigh under 20 lbs., I like the small size because it is easier to carry around, but all sizes are equally indestructible. We have some that are two years old! There is no better toy and we have tried them all! There are all kinds of stuffed toys on their website, so I get new ones for my birthday and Christmas and in all my years (almost 7!) I have only managed to kill two of them...and believe me, it has been my life's work. Go, Fat Cats!!

Caleb answered on 7/27/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Sienna, NPC, CGC

Sienna is a staffie and never liked any of the toys made to be tough or last. Sigh. I used to get her the cheapest stuffies possible and even toys for humans that I took the hard parts like eyes off of. But the best ended up being rope toys and ones made of fleece. She was still interested, but they last a bit longer than a typical stuffed toy. If you have a yard, sticks are a free chew thing. :-)

Sienna, NPC, CGC answered on 8/30/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Murphy

The black "extreme" kongs have been suprisingly durable for our dogs that like to kill anything you give them.

Murphy answered on 9/16/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Bailey Rose

We have 4 powerful (and I mean POWERFUL) chewers at our house & the only toy that we have found is the Galileo nylabone or any of the "nylabone for power chewers" products. We have had some for several years & they are still going strong. All our dogs chew on one of them every day & I haven't had to buy any lately. I gave them a nice selection of sizes (mostly on the larger size since our largest is an Australian Shepherd). Even our smallest (Miniature Pinscher) loves them. No matter how large they are, she will pick one up & carry it off to the bed to chew on it. All 4 dogs have wonderful healthy white teeth!!! Give them some time to get use to the bone though, because my Westie didn't like them at first until we got the Aussie & Min Pin. Now they all LOVE them!!! Good luck on your toy search!

Bailey Rose answered on 12/27/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Here's a list of toys for tough chewers -

Tire Biter by Mammoth Pet Products
Kong
Tuffie's
Dura Flex Rubber Ball Dog Toy
Busy Buddy
Jolly Ball
Huck
Hurley
GoughNuts Dog Chews
Nylabone
Busy Dog
Push N Play Hard Ball
My Good Dog
Ruff Dawg Rock Dog Toy
Everlasting Treat Ball
Skinneeez Big Biter Water Bottle Dog Toys
Dogzilla
Flappy Ruffy Dog Toy
Paw-Zzle Ball

Miley

my friend has a pit who could chew through anything in a week, she gave him the beef leg bones u can get at petsmart and put peanut butter in it. it worked for him, though in 1 month my dog (a presa, so stronger and bigger jaw) cracked one. the other option that is supposed to be sturdy is the kong toys, the super kongs are best. hope this helped.

Miley answered on 3/3/11. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Casanova's Bootleg Bully

unconventional,i know, but for the breed i found that the ones who have to chew even into adulthood need improvisions. try an old bowling ball and unused rubber weight machine bands. dumbell weights that have the rubber or thick plastic coating.old tire.tie some nylon or hemp rope in some thick knots and melt the ends.jolly ball was a good idea too,lookin into that. but nylabones no good for mine,was able to get chunks off and ate them.

Casanova's Bootleg Bully answered on 4/25/11. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Birdy

ANTLERZ!!!!

Birdy answered on 6/2/11. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Skye

My border collies will spend hours tossing and chewing plastic water and soda bottles. I think they like the crinkling noise and the unpredictable bounce they take when tossed. Plus they can destroy them at will - there is always more.

Skye answered on 7/26/11. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Lowenhart's Jaxima Dalicious

Be careful with the plastic bottles.My Rott was fine with them when he was really young,but then he learned to get the cap off,and actually chewed chunks out of the bottle,and he eats what he gets off! The best toys for him are Kongs stuffed with peanut butter and frozen,The kong disk with the nylon binding on the edge,his Jolly ball,soft or hard, and believe it or not the Holey Roller(Moley) ball with all the spaces in it!

Lowenhart's Jaxima Dalicious answered on 10/14/11. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

You should get a Nylabone, especailly for big dogs and hard to break ones.

There is a line of dog toys designed by the owner of a black lab named Buddy, who had destroyed every toy the owner bought. The line name is "Buddy's." I have a Buddy's ball that has lasted over six years.