Bear

What are the best toys for an 8 week old GSD, BC. Lab mix?

Any kind, like chew toys, bones, anything.

Asked by Bear on Apr 18th 2010 in Toys

Answers

Does she like to play with toys?

I highly recommend:

Kong
Tuff
Planet Dog
Talk To Me TreatBall
Toy Shoppe
Tire Biter
Nylabone
West Paw Designs

These are good, strong toys for dogs. I would not recommend you give your dog Greenies for a toy/treat, they are full of junk. If you want a good dog bone/chew, check out: www.merrickpetcare.com

Merrick has such good products. Their bones are so good! Both of my dogs' go crazy over their bones.

Is she a tough chewer? I like to go toward more of the green and eco dog stuff. It is better for your dog and it is better for the Earth.

Check out this site: www.twogooddogs.com

This site does not carry bones or toys. They carry amazing dog treats! Their an eco/green dog treat. The best thing is, they only put two to three ingredients in their treats! I got their treats yesterday, it has chicken, oatmeal, and mixed tocopherlos.

I hope you find a good toy!

Twist I treat by Premier, Buster Cube, and Amaze-a-ball.
These can be used to feed him his food and keep him busy at the same time.

Bones, real beef marrow bones, raw, keep them busy for hours and days.
Antlers - real deer antler.
Kong - fill with real food - his kibble with canned or homemade.
**Rawhide until he can chew pieces off, then no more!

Avoid - cloth or rope

Odd toys.
Pepper like to chase a jumbo empty jar that used to have Skippy P.B. in it. She prefers it to a soccer ball - weird dog.
I hide her food around the yard in easter eggs - my kids are too old for the easter bunny, but I still have plastic eggs.

Glow-in-the-dark, mint scented ball - larger one, he'll be a big boy. She peels tennis type balls.

Snickers.
Poor boy. He feels so cheap and used.....

The pet stores are full of toys that many dogs will quickly chew up into pieces they could choke on or cause intestinal blockages. If you are not there to watch, stick to sturdy stuff such as Nylabones and Kongs. Keep a close eye on chew toys and quickly discard anything that is coming apart in pieces. Rawhide is especially bad because it swells after being swallowed. I don't trust any of the consumable chews. The dogs just gnaw them down to a dangerous size too quickly. These problems are the worst with, but not limited to, large, aggressive chewers such as Labs.

Go with West Paw Design toys. They are great.

Visit each of the pages below for several suggestions.

www.habitatoutfitters.com

www.habitatoutfitters.com

www.habitatoutfitters.com

I would also suggest that you safely begin to socialize your puppy now to prevent behavior problems in the months to come.
Visit these pages.
abrionline.org

www.habitatoutfitters.com

Glenn
www.homeskooling4dogs.com

Thunder

Kongs are great!!!! Just a note about nyla bones. My Rott chews them to pieces. He is the only dog I have every had that could do this. I am not sure if other people have had this problem or not.

Thunder answered on 5/22/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Buckeye

There are tons of toys our there, and it's important to know which one's are better than the others. First, let me say to never buy any kind of rope toy. They are completely unsafe if your dog is going to try to swallow it.

We prefer these brands: Nylabone, Busy Buddy and Premier. Nylabones are great for chewing, and they have non-edible and edible bones: www.nylabone.com Busy Buddy toys are a lot like KONG's, but they come in a different variety of designs and toy structures: www.premier.com KONG toys are sturdy, fun toys that you can fill with almost anything: www.kongcompany.com

Make sure you find sturdy toys. If your puppy isn't a strong chewer, you can buy plush toys if you supervise him. We like the PetStages Cuddle Pal: www.petsmart.com for soothing. Or these for chewing petstages.com

Buckeye answered on 6/25/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer