What are the best organizations to get a fully-trained psychiatric service dog from?

I live in Southern California and suffer from severe depression and an anxiety disorder making life very difficult. I have been advised that receiving a psychiatric service dog would improve my quality of life, but am having tremendous difficulty locating a goof program. I've already looked through listings, researched for weeks, etc. Please provide specific programs for me to consider, not just a place I can find more listings. Thank you in advance!

Asked by Member 1124393 on Aug 7th 2012 in Service & Therapy Dogs

Answers

Please try posting your question on the "Service & Therapy Dogs" forum on this site. There are more knowledgable people there.

Levi

I know this answer is kind of late, but I jut joined the site. When it comes to a psychiatric service dog you need to be very careful in how to get one and he/she be legal to be in all public places.

1. He must perform an actual task. It can not just be emotional support...those dogs are not able to be in restraunts, schools, malls, and such. My service dog is specifically for Crowd Control and Anxiety Alert. He senses when an anxiety attack comes on and can prevent it, and is a blockade in busy areas. If all our service dog would do is just make you feel better in public then I'm afraid he will not be able to be with you. Although I think this is a stupid rule, it's the law and you can't change it. You need to keep in mind these types of service dogs are still very new, and laws will get better as they use of them are explored more.

2. You can train your own service dog technically. Because really there is no "certification." This is where many people are very uninformed.

Levi answered on 12/6/12. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer