what are best food for shih tzu that doesn't like dog food?

my dog doesn't like dog food.she only eat what we also eat.is this good for her?
and also my problem is she is eating her poo poo or her dirt?what should i do?please answer ASAP.thank you

Asked by Member 893064 on Sep 27th 2009 Tagged shihtzu, dogfood, poopoo in Pet Insurance

Answers

You know, a little tough love will make your dog eat her food. Set it down for 15 minutes and if she doesn't eat, put it away until the next day and don't feed her anything. Keep repeating until she eats what you give her. It should only a take a few days. Anymore than that, and call the vet up.

What to look for in a commercial dog food? Well, here's some links:
www.5stardog.com
www.executec.com
thepetcenter.com
dogfoodanalysis.com
dogfoodproject.com

I don't agree with every sentiment expressed in those links (for example, the idea that dogs need vegetables in their diet), but they certainly are food for thought.
Don't think ingredients matter? Well, check out this thread, before Cookie was fed a meat-based diet and after Cookie was was fed a meat-based diet:
www.dogster.com

The best dog food of all? If you ask me, I'll say a homeprepared raw diet. I started my Papillon mix on raw last year, and he's doing so well (softer and shiner coat, better breath, cleaner teeth, smaller firmer and less frequent stool) that I'm never puting him back on commercial dog food. Raw is real dog food. A dog's digestive system is designed to handle raw meat, bones, and organs, and it kills almost any bacteria ingested. What do you think dogs ate before commercial dog food came along? Some families fed scraps, of course. However excellent raw is, you do need to do your research and know what you are doing. This is what can happen if you do not:
www.dogster.com
Also, there is much controversy about the diet. I recommend reading up on both sides. Thoroughly.

Also, if she is eating her excreta, you can clean it up before she has a chance.

Boo

Copraphagia (poop eating) can be caused by a variety of things from vitimin deficiency to an already established illness in the dog (worms).

Getting your pup on a high quality diet would be the first concern. Cleaning up doggie doo immediately is an absolute necessity. I would also take the dog to the vet and have it screened for parasites and worms right now.

Eating feces is dangerous for dogs because of the parasites and disease that can be transmitted through eating feces. Also, their "worms" can become YOUR worms too. In other words, parasitic infestations in your pet (from eating poop) can easily transfer to you as well.

As far as quality food, there is plenty on the market: Nature's Variety Raw, Life's Abundance, Merrick's, etc., with web sites dedicated to teaching you about proper nutrition for your pet. One poster has already pointed you in the right direction.

Boo answered on 9/27/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

B.J., CGC

IF this is the same shih tzu that you keep asking if she's pregnant, she definitely needs all the best dog food she can get right now! Have you had her checked for worms? If she is not getting a correctly balanced diet specifically for dogs, preferrably for pregnant dogs, she will not be able to provide those pups with the stuff they need for proper growth, and she will certainly not have enough reserves for making milk to feed them with.
You need to stop feeding her "people" food and get a high quality dog food for her. Do as suggested above... leave it down for 15 minutes or so, pick it up and offer it again at the next mealtime.
Again... get her to a vet for a checkup, including a stool check for parasites.

B.J., CGC answered on 9/27/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

Mina

What kind of food are you feeding her? There are a lot of natural foods out there with premium ingredients. Brands such as :

-Evo
-California's Natural
-Orijen
-Nature's Variety, etc.

These foods have lower grain content than your average pet-store food, and have ingredients that are good for your dog to eat. One of the top ingredients is meat. Any dog food with animal 'byproducts' should not be something you feed your dog... these 'byproducts' are everything from turkey gizzards, ground bones, dried blood... some pretty gross stuff.

Your shih tzhu may know what's good for her, and not want to eat the dog food you are giving her.

First, I'd suggest you change the food. Then, if she's still picky, add either wet food, or some of your food.

Eating poo is called 'coprophagia'. Check out this site:
dog-obedience-training-review.com/stop-dogs-eating-poop.html

Mina answered on 9/27/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

I had a Lasa Alposo for 17 years and I fed her cooked white chicken breast. It sure didn't hurt her she lived for 17 years and was always healthy. As far as eating her poop. Yell at her and tell her no no. If that doesn't work pick it up when you see it.

Dorth

The best solution to stool eating, coprophagy, is cleaning them up before the
dog has a chance. You can try food additives, the home remedies pineapple juice
or canned pumpkin or the commercial products Forbid or Deter.

Why dogs do it is poorly understood. It may be diet related, but changing the
dog's diet might cause worse problems. Whatever problems it causes for the
owner, it doesn't seem to hurt the dog unless you are trying to clear up a worm
infestation.

For more information see home.gci.net

All the talk about premuim foods is a bunch of speculation. The common brands have too well proven results for any of it to be true.

If the dog never did eat very well, and has seen the vet since the problem existed, you may be over feeding it. A vet check still won't hurt. Many dogs will snarf down more than is good for them and look for more. Others refuse to eat more than than they need. Evaluate the dog as illustrated in this link, www.longliveyourdog.com You may want the vet to confirm your judgment. Adjust the dogs food and exercise as needed to reach its ideal body condition. Some German Shepherds and other breeds may refuse to eat enough to completely hid their ribs. As long as you are feeding a concentrated, meat based chow, the best thing is to accept it.

The worst thing you can do is to bribe a dog with rich foods into eating more than it needs. Instead, Put down the dish with what the dog should eat, and give it 15 minutes to eat. Then take it up. Do not give it anything to eat until its next scheduled meal. In a few days, it should be eating what it needs. Continue to check its ribs and adjust the food as needed. This is not easy. I had a Shepherd go 3 days on a few nibbles. I was a wreck, but she was fine. It is almost unknown for a healthy dog not to eat what it needs. Unfortunately, in too many cases, it is less than the package says, and less than the owner thinks the dog should have. Many dogs are quite good at holding out for tastier chow. Like kids, sometimes it calls for tough love.