what age do dogs get their period?

Asked by Member 613546 on Mar 28th 2008 in Health & Wellness

Best Answer

Dora

Dogs can come into heat as young as 6 months of age. This is way too young to breed. They should be at least over 1 1/2 years old. They can also go into heat as old as 1 1/2 year or anywhere in between these two time frames! You just have to watch for the signs to know when for sure. They are: swelled vulva, and vaginal discharge. There are also possibilities of these signs: increase in appetite, temperament change, bigger teats, and increase in the amount of times she urinates.She will not breed the entire time she is in heat either. She has to go into full heat before she will allow breeding. Some dogs will allow breeding from the first few days of the signs while others will take up to three weeks into the cycle. Since the time varys so much, professionals put the dogs together every other day to find out when she is ready. Breeding is very complicated (as you can see) and you need to know as much as you can before undertaking it. I could write for hours telling you all the pros and cons to breeding, pregnancy, whelping, puppies and selling them. Please don't breed until you are as prepared on all these subjects as you can possibly be. If you don't it often results the death of the mom and pups due to the unexperienced not knowing how to care for them. The average litter size for these dogs is 4-5 pups

Dora answered on Mar 28th.

Answers

Ginger Bear

LOL! Dogs don't get that! Do you mean "When do they come into heat?" If that's what your asking, female dogs come into heat when they're at least 6 months-1 year old. However, they should NOT be bread until age 3. Hope this helps. :)

Ginger Bear answered on 3/28/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 2 Report this answer

Actually, not to be bred until age 2. That's when they're fully mature and also when their health tests (OFA, CERF) can be certified.
As Ginger said, dogs don't get period. They get heat, AKA estrus. Only females dogs get heat. Males dog, unless neutered of course, are always ready to mate.
Also as Ginger said, the typical age of 6 months, though it may be much later than that. Some dogs don't start heat until they are 1 year old.
6 months is the perfect time to get a big dog spayed. 7 months for a little dog.
www.dogster.com

♥Tiffy♥

Dogs usually go into heat for the first time at around 6-9 months and it lasts for about 3 weeks. My Tiffy had her first one at 6 months, she gets it about every 6 months and it lasts for 3-4 weeks.

♥Tiffy♥ answered on 3/28/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

Kobe

I know for labs they have their first heat around 9 months for their first then every 6 months, like clockwork. All females vary. Ive always heard that breeding should wait until after 2 years old.

Kobe answered on 3/28/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

yeah what they said they go into heat my chihuahua bella was age 7 months! Anyways you should NOT breed. Don't you people know there ARE WAY 2 many dogs/animals in this crazy world that need loving and caring homes. So don't breed your animals get them fixed! PLEASE!!! I would not breed your dog because there are way to many dogs in this world. Don't put your dog threw that much stress when you can go get 1 or more at your local animals shelter. Please you have got to read this and don't take it as me being mean, i am just trying to save the lives of animals that COULD have loving homes BUT NO because SOME PEOPLE have to go and BREED there ANIMALS when there are a lot of animals you can get at your local shelter...!!! I hope you get it! Some people still don't care when animal lovers or vets/shelters tell them NOT to breed! I got Bella spayed 1 year ago and she seems fine i am getting my little spayed when she is a little older. Just please don't breed your dog!thanks!