What age can a dog get pregnant?

I have 3 dogs & i would like to breed...... what if one is 7 months one is 9 months and the other is 2 years old.

Asked by Member 1024837 on Feb 26th 2011 in Pregnancy

Answers

Well, dogs CAN get pregnant on their first heat cycle- you better know what that is if you're thinking of breeding. BUT:

Even if they CAN get pregnant that young, it's not a good idea. Their bodies and minds are still developing, and many harmful genetic conditions (that can get passed on to their puppies) have not appeared yet.

Honestly, I would reconsider your plan to breed them. Dogs can DIE in pregnancy or labor, especially first-time mothers who aren't experienced. And small breeds (I don't know how big your dogs are) often need C-sections, which are mega-expensive. Breeding your dog and raising the pups is NOT a good way to make money OR get more dogs- it's way cheaper to just buy another puppy if that's what you want.

Jazzy

Like bruno said it is not a good idea to breed your dogs when they're that young. If I was to breed a dog I would wait till they're 2 yrs old. Most of the time you need to help young mothers with their first pregnancy since they don't know what's happening to them. Breeding is VERY expensive. And all the money you will be making for the puppies will be going towards vet bills. Breedings also increases the females' chances of getting "Pyometra" and other type of infections of the female organs. www.peteducation.com You NEED to do a lot of research before you even think about breeding. You also need to realize that as the breeder it is your responsibility to have the pups 1st vaccines, be dewormed, and have good homes. And if a home fails you must be able to take it in and possibly rehome it. And the only breeds that need C-sections are the dogs with smushed faces i.e pugs, bulldogs, boxers etc.

Jazzy answered on 2/27/11. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

Dogs can't have important genetic health tests done until 2 years of age. Please re-think your plan. :(