Archer

We're idiots we bought 2 puppies taking the breeder advice.

We have 2 awesome 10 week old little puggle boys from the same litter their great but when we were having problems training them and googled training 2 puppies and found a bucket load of information on the problems of raising litter mates. We wanna do the right by the puppies alot of the information on the internet is very negative and basically informing us we're idiots without giving any real advice. We stupidly took the breeders advice but we have no problems with the time taken for individual training/walking etc etc just are we fighting a losing battle and is the best thing to just give up one of the pups to a new home(which would break our hearts)? We split them up for the first time last night alot of crying and both were off their morning breakfast.

Asked by Archer on Dec 11th 2011 Tagged littermates, puppies in Behavior & Training

Answers

It's not IMPOSSIBLE to train two littermates at the same time. What kind of problems are you experiencing? It might be totally unconnected to having two puppies at once.

Have you contacted a professional trainer or behaviorist about this problem? A lot of internet advice is unclear or just plain stupid, sometimes you need to deal with a real person in real life to figure something out.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

Sonny

I think Bruno may be on to something. And both breeds do great in pairs.
I see more Beagle than Pug, so I think I get the problem. Pushy, ill mannered, jumpy, gang up on you?

I have a Beagle mix (with Golden Ret.) and he is different from other dogs I've trained. He was so bad with his first adoptive owner, she returned him (he was biting HARD). I took him to retrain him. I already had 2 dogs, he made 3.
I put him on a NILIF plan which is perfect for food driven pups, just measure their food for the day and use as much of that as needed to get the behavior you want. (both breeds get FAT easy)
ezinearticles.com
You must be strict. They get food in exchange for behaviors you want. They trade a behavior you want for something they want.
This link for potty training:
www.howtodothings.com
She/He who holds the treat pouch rules the world!

Sonny answered on 12/11/11. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Sierra and Denali

You know, we read all those same sites that say it can't be done after we adopted 2 litter mates from a rescue, but it seems like it just takes A LOT more time to train them separately and together. Ours are almost 6 months old now (one male and one female). We took them to puppy training right away and will take them back for basic training in January. I walk them separately everyday and that seems important to get them used to being apart for a while. They are doing really well. I think it can be done, it just takes TONS more time and even more patience! A good trainer to call on to work out issues is really helpful, too. Good luck!

Sierra and Denali answered on 12/19/11. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Cassius

No matter hoe negative the internet is, I don't believe having two littermates is a problem.. I have two puppies (both 11 weeks old) & their from the same breeder but completely different litter & breeds. One of them was the only one in the litter so at 6 weeks when we got them he was already rlly independent and never whined in his cage at night, the other one was different. I would start out by suggesting that you keep them in seperate cages that way they have their own area and won't depend on eachother at night to comfort one another, but still keep the cages next to eachother with a blanket covering them. Every once in awhile someone stay home with one pup and the other person take the other pup for a walk/car ride. Make sure they have their "alone time" and individual attention with each of you. & when training take one in a room & the other person take the other pup.your problem may be that they are just dependent on eachother.

Cassius answered on 4/20/12. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer