Jax

We recently adopted an Australian shepherd mix. He just turned 7 months and weighs 52 pounds is this normal weight?

Also our other question is that he is terrified of anybody that is not my 3 yr old, my husband or myself. He will not let anyone else approach him is this normal for his breed because we were hoping he would be protective of us. Also if he weighs 52 pounds now how big will he get full grown?

Asked by Jax on Dec 23rd 2012 in Anatolian Shepherd

Answers

Winnie

This is a bit hard to answer - do you know what he was mixed with? That may determine what his average what should be - I know that a full-grown male Aussie Shepherd should weight around 50-65lbs and be 20-23in. tall. So if he was mixed with a larger breed that could explain his weight, however be sure to give him plenty of exercise as the Australian Shepherd is a herder by nature, so of course they need to run around and burn off all that energy that the breed naturally has. As for his fear - the Aussie is protective by nature and if he wasn't socialized well as a pup, that could just feed that and make him fearful or unfriendly to strangers.

Winnie answered on 2/17/13. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer