We just adopted an almost 1-yr-old mini Doxie. We were told to feed her 1/8 c or 2 tablespoons daily.

She eats "Wellness Small Bits" I think she'd starve at 1/8 c. a day when shes only a year. She's also a very mellow dog.

Asked by Member 1071014 on Nov 15th 2011 Tagged quantity, age, activity in Pet Food

Answers

Toy-breed dogs need an unbelievably small amount of food daily. Someone on here once posted that they literally count out the kibbles for their Chihuahua. If that's what she's currently eating and is a healthy weight, I'd continue with it. Especially if she is low-energy and not burning a lot of calories. Dogs often slow down and require a lot less food once they stop growing, and small breeds reach that point at a younger age, so at 1 year she should be fed like an adult dog.

My dogs are extremely active all day long and little Georgie, a toy poodle of 5 lbs, is gaining weight on 1/4 cup of kibble. She gets NO treats aside from pieces of her food, so eating other stuff is not the problem. With Winter coming on, I am expecting I will have to feed her even less.
If your girl is quiet and mellow, 1/8 cup is most likely what she will need to stay fit and healthy. Watching her weight is extremely important as Dachshunds can be prone to serious back issues and excess weight will contribute to the likelyhood of her suffering a back problem.