We just adopted a 3 month old Boxer / beagle mix. How do they determine that? and what size am I looking forward to?

Asked by Member 751290 on Oct 11th 2008 in Mixed Breeds

Answers

Cracker

If the rescue knew the parents or the person who surrendered the puppy knew who they were you may have an accurate guess. That being said, in most cases it is just that, a guess. Cracker was listed as a bloodhound/rottie mix but really we're pretty sure she is lab/foxhound.

As for size..that is the fun of mixed breeds, you won't know until you know! They can take after either of the parents or even, if the parents were not pure, can take after a dog back in their ancestry.

Cracker answered on 10/11/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 2 Report this answer

Shelters take a guess based on looks. And they are often wrong on the breed. My dog was listed as a Sheltie mix at the shelter. While I think that he does have some Sheltie, he looks much more like a Papillon. Which is funny, 'cause I had also been interested in Papillons even though I was looking for a Sheltie. I'm not surprised that they didn't recognise his Papillon looks though. Papillons aren't very common.
As for size, I have no idea. Most likely between the size of a Boxer and the size of the Beagle, I guess.

The previous posters are right on. It's a guessing game unless the parents of the adopted dog were known for sure. Rescues, Animal Control Agencies, etc., do their best to determine breeds of dog based on appearance & size.

It is important to realize that, especially with mixed breed dogs, you need to "label" the dog as it appears. Whether or not it is the "true" mix, if your dog ever goes missing, you want the majority of the population of humans to recognize the description. If your dog resembles in any way, say a beagle, then label it as such!!! If it's a Cavalier King Charles Spaniel mixed with a Basset Hound that looks like a Beagle (which is likely), most people will recognize the "first glance" breed & not the details of the mix.

When you adopt a mixed breed puppy, you need to be prepared for surprises! That's one of the hundreds of trials one takes on with adopting! IF you have a size/hair length/activity level/etc. restriction you should seek out a particular breed..

Zack

You have received some great answers - if you post a picture of your dog on Dogster you can also have fun letting some more people guess your dog's breed mix.

I have an adult Boxer mix who is 20 inches tall at the shoulder and weighs about 50 pounds. My parents have an adult Boxer mix who is 22 inches at the shoulder and weighs about 65 lbs. My next door neighbors have an adult purebred Beagle that weighs about 30 pounds (maybe 13-14 inches tall? I've never measured exactly). If your dog is a Boxer/Beagle mix, I would guess it could be anywhere within that range.

However, at three months it's still very much a guessing game. If your dog is actually a different breed mix, or has different breeds in its ancestry, it could be considerably larger or smaller. For many dogs, you can take the weight at four months and double it to get an approximate adult weight.

Have fun with your new dog - Boxers and Beagles are two of my favorite breeds!

Zack answered on 10/13/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Some adoptoin angences use new dna test to find the main breeds, or maybe a person gave up the pup becuase they didn't have a home for him even thoudh they may have owned the parants, but the adoption agency could have just guessed. If they did it is not too acurate, becuse it is difficult to tell a breed when the dog is a pup. I've owned 5 mixed breed dogs and learned that most of the time the dog's size is usaly is just a tad larger than the smallest breed.So I think your pup will probly be about 18 in. tall and weigh about 35-40 lb. if he is realy a boxer beagle.Good luck with your new pup, I'm sure he is just adorable!