We have a pug/terrier cross who likes to pee on everything.

He pees on the toilet base, on our other dog while he is peeing or he pees on the place he just peed. He peed on the cat boxes, before I moved them out of his reach. He pees on the corners of all my furniture. His latest place was to pee on the hand weights my husband has been using to work out. We thought getting him neutered would help, but it didn't. I am at my wits end. He can go outside using a dog door, so I know he is just marking. He loves the other dog & has been raised with him.

Asked by Member 511464 on Mar 4th 2014 in Behavior & Training

Answers

Sounds like he's just not potty trained. I would go back to square 1 potty training. The doggie door isn't going to work for this. Ex: Take him out, if he doesn't go, he goes in the crate. If he goes, he has 1/2 hour freedom, it's supervised freedom, meaning tether him to you or confine him to the room you are in and watch him. After 1/2 hour, take him back out, if he goes, make a big deal out of it by playing with him and/or give him treats & he earns a 1/2 hour of freedom, if he doesn't go, he goes back in the crate. Repeat. Once he gets the hang of it, extend his freedom. He'll start to give a cue when he has to go, like whining, pacing, sniffing, sitting in front of you staring & whining or going to the door. Generally they only give the cue once. You have to watch for it because if you miss it, he may go and pee somewhere. I would not give him access to your entire house. You also should clean up all the pee spots w/enzyme cleaner. Good Luck!

Sandy

U can use a belly band and he wont be able to pee inside. There are many brands if you look up belly band on google I like spoiledbratzwear's belly bands, but they r expensive however u get what u pay for and these stay on better and do not leak pee.

Sandy answered on 3/6/14. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

This could be a sign of bladder problems. Have your dog checked by the vet. Also, make sure to clean everything with enzyme based cleaners to eliminate odors and traces and prevent further markings.