Sally

Very thin rescue dog with no appetite. Needs to gain weight!

Hi--
I'm new! I just got an amazing rescue dog. She's a medium sized golden mix, very smart, pretty fearful but getting better. She's very thin and doesn't seem to have much appetite. I tried to give her ID, Grammy's wet food, and a dry food (separately), and she has eaten very little of the ID, but nothing else. I finally made her a dish of cooked ground turkey, rice and carrots mixed with a little Wellness canned food, and she did eat some of that. She is on anti-biotics also.

I'd like to switch her to regular dog food soon as I don't want to keep cooking for her, but obviously I want her to gain some weight. I've had her for 4 days, so at this point she doesn't have any regular food or feeding habits (other than not really eating). How soon do I try to implement a schedule? Should I try to keep tempting her to eat with cooked food? Should I just go for the dog food regiment I'm planning (dry/wet mix, morning and night) and when she's hungry she'll eat?
Thanks!

Asked by Sally on Oct 31st 2008 Tagged noappetite, rescue in Other Food & Nutrition

Answers

Satin balls will put weight on real quickly!
www.njboxers.com

Shandi *Oct 2006 - Aug 2012*

I suggest giving her a few small meals throughout the day instead of one or two large meals. If nothing seems to help maybe go to your local vet to see if there is a medical reason she isnt eating.

Shandi *Oct 2006 - Aug 2012* answered on 10/31/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 2 Report this answer

Gabe

I rescued a mastiff that was horribly underweight. You would think you could just put food in front of them and they will eat it all, it's actually common that they don't eat.

It took nearly two weeks for Gabe to eat on his own. I was hand feeding him pieces of kibble covered in yogurt or having to cook simple, bland meals of chicken and brown rice. Once a dog gets to a point that they are supper skinny their stomachs have shrank they can't eat large meals at first. Feed small portions of the most tempting meals you can fix. I know it's a little inconvenient but when she feels better you'll be able to switch her food.

Be patient, she's also just gone through the change of switching homes and meeting new people. This can be putting her off on food for a bit too.

Gabe answered on 11/1/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Desperado

My first thought is have you tested her for parasites. When I bought Desperado my GSD puppy, he just wasn't interested in food. I would leave food out for him all day and he might eat a few bites throughout the day. Soon he started losing weight so I took him to the vet and he had worms. The vet said that the worms were responsible for his lack of appetite.

It may be that she's just unsure about being in a new place with a new person but you might get a stool test.

Desperado answered on 11/1/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Princess

THERE IS A HIGH PROTEIN DOG FOOD FOR PUPPIES AND THAT HELPS ALOT. THE ONLY PLACE YOU CAN FIND IT IS AT A PET STORE OR SOMEWHERE LIKE THAT.

I HAVE A PUPPY THAT IS FUNNY ABOUT FOOD ALSO AND SHE IS A RESCUE. THERE ARE TIMES SHE'LL EAT AND OTHER TIMES SHE DOESN'T WANT IT ANYMORE. I STARTED FEEDING HER ONCE A WEEK TURKEY,CHEESE AND EGG AND SHE LOVES THAT. I HAVE ALSO FEED HER WITH A SPOON.

I HAVE OTHER DOGS AND SHE WON'T EAT WITH ANY OF THEM, BECAUSE I GUESS SHE IS SCARED THAT THE OTHER DOGS WOULD EAT IT.

I ONLY FEED MY DOGS AND THE VETS SAYS DON'T FEED THEM WITH ANYTHING THAT STARTS WITH GAIN. THEY SAY IF MEAT LIKE CHICHEN OR TURKEY COMES FIRST THEN THAT'S WHAT YOU WANTS.

Princess answered on 11/2/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer