Very aggressive dog

Very aggressive dog

I´m desperate owner of male mini pincher, he is 10 month old now. At first everything was OK, he was nice little puppy who was curious and sweet. But now he is mad, aggressive dog. I don´t know what happened to him. He now knows the territory and he is pretending like he is the owner. He is too stubborn. He started to bite my hole family including me. If it is not his way he started to bark and growl. First I tried nicely, talking to him and I was very calm, but it did´t work out. Than I try to yell at him, but he started to bark and growl louder. Then I tried with newspapers but he is too aggressive. My older dog is 10 years and he is great I trained him but I can´T handle this one. I know he is small and scared but in a minute if it is not his way he became monster. PLEASE HELP ME I TRIED EVERYTHING AND I´M DESPARATE!!!

Asked by Member 852592 on Jul 7th 2009 Tagged aggressive in Aggression

Answers

Contact a Behaviorist in your area. Hitting him with newspapers and yelling at him are not appropriate ways to work with a dog. You can get started by Googling "APDT", go to the APDT website and you can search for reputable people in your area. Good luck!

Katie

I agree with Kolbe - aggression breeds aggression. You need to consult a behaviorist who uses humane methods and positive reinforcement!

Here is a link to my trainer's website, with an article on how to select a reputable trainer: www.k9techsupport.com

While you're finding the right person to help with your dog, try this:

Get your Min Pin neutered if he is not already.

Do go back to the calm voice. When your Min Pin growls or makes an aggressive move, say "ah, ah" in a clear, but not loud voice. If he stops, praise and go back to playing. If he does not, get up, walk out of the room, and close the door behind you. Do not speak to him, look at him, or touch him. Also, keep a leash on him in the house. That way, if it's not convenient for you to leave him, you can quietly and calmly pick up the leash and walk him to the laundry room or back yard - any boring place. Leave him for about 5 min., then back to normal. Be calm but firm. Good luck!!

Katie answered on 7/7/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 2 Report this answer

Sandy

In agreement with everyone who has already answered...Do not be aggressive, to an already aggressive dog. As far as I know the ASPCA has animal behaviorists who should be able to help you!! www.aspca.org

Don't give up on him too soon.

Like the other person said, get him neutered!!!!! If he's not already. That almost always helps...

Sandy answered on 7/7/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

Neka

I agree that you need a behaivorist. They will be able to observe the body language and so forth, then be able to give you a plan.

That said, Can you give us an example of when he gets aggressive? Give it to us step by step.

Also, if you can, give us your read on his body language. Example: is his tail tucked, or up? What is his stance? Does he charge you before he trys to bite or is he retreating first? What warning signs do you see before he attacks?

Neka answered on 7/7/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Stop yelling. Stop hitting with the newspaper and contact a trainer who uses positive reinforcement training methods.
Because you have no idea how to handle him, you need to get a professional involved otherwise your problems may never get better.
Yelling and hitting, as you've said yourself, will only make the situation worse and if you think he's bad right now, just keep yelling/hitting and watch what you turn him into.
You say you don't know what happened, well, do you think, maybe, possibly, the other dog is harrassing him while you're not around? Maybe the dynamic between the two of them is the source of his aggression. Just a thought.
Hire a trainer asap. Make sure they use positive methods only and you can turn this guy around.

I agree with the others.

♥Minni Mouse♥

I agree with everyone else. One other thing you might try is a spray bottle of water. At the first sign of unwanted behaviore spray him with a stream of water. I have a friend with 5 dogs and 5 cats who does this and it seems to stop aggression before it starts. It is something to try until you can get help. Also, ask your vet. I ask mine about all kinds of things. By the way did you know MinPins are known to be territorial. But usually very protective of their owner. Go to the breed info section of this website for information. Get him help now, before it is too late. I had to put down a biter, that I rescued, who had in the past been abused. I would hate for you to have to do that. I'll be praying for all of you.

♥Minni Mouse♥ answered on 7/8/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Packer

haha hes just mimicking your behaviour..small dogs are sensitive dogs and yelling makes them yell,hitting makes them bite..fear makes them mean..get a good trainer..take lots of walks..keep calm..very important to keep calm..find a dog park to see if other dogs can help train him to behave a bit more dog friendly,but take him in..not barking like an imbecile or hell be a target..wear him out with lots of walks..this also bonds you together..hes old enough for the leash..and a pair of roller blades to pull him with..haha..get him trained..im not sure how you trained your older dog so well when you had to resort to helling and hitting to control a puppy though..

Packer answered on 7/14/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer