Used Hydrogen Peroxide, Baking Soda and Dish Soap to get rid of Skunk smell... Now my lab is chewing himself raw

After the Hydrogen mix bath my lab Conner has now been chewing his back and hind to the point of becoming raw... What should I bathe him with to help relive himself of this? Do I need to get him a cone?

Asked by Member 1038671 on Jun 25th 2011 Tagged hydrogenperoxide, bath, skiniritation in Skin Problems

Answers

use oatmeal shampoo, people or animal type doesn't matter. next time to remove skunk use white vinegar. It's cheap and effective.

Sounds like you may not have rinsed enough??? I would rinse, rinse and then rinse some more. Also, depending on what kind of dish detergent you used he may have some sensitivity to that, again, more rinsing will help.

the hydrogen peroxide is probably causing him to chew himself. it's not really good for the skin. i would rinse with white vinegar and just wait. there is only so much you can do. i've heard mixed reviews about the stuff from the store to help. call the vet and ask in the morning. or maybe a feed store might know a trick or two

When Libby got sprayed last year (July 4th. I'll never forget it.), I tried everything: the tomato juice bath, the peroxide/baking soda/dish soap bath, the baking soda/vinegar bath, the Skunk Off bath, ad nauseum. Nothing really worked that well, but after about a month, she stopped smelling like a skunky monkey. Really all I succeeded in doing with the baths was making her skin really dry. For dry skin (and shedding!), daily fish oil caplets work, but they take a little over a month to have an effect. You want the ones with the extra thick coating that doesn't dissolve until it's in his intestines so that he doesn't get fish burps. TropiClean has a good, soap-free, oatmeal shampoo. You might need the e-collar, but I'd also call the vet to explain the situation so that he or she can make suggestions. Good vets have great tricks for dealing with this stuff. Poor Conner...and poor you! Best of luck!

I would also agreed, rinse him over and over with plain water. don't put anything else on him.

see vet.

also have vet check for staph infection. After being sprayed some dogs react terribly.
Or it is the additives you put on him.

I would see vet immediately. :( feel better soon guest :( hugs from us furbabes :)