Shadow

Uneven pupils?

My three year old siberian husky occasionally, very occasionally, appears with the pupil of one eye very much larger than the other. The local vet tells us this is normally consistent with a neuralogical problem, usually as a result of having suffered a blow to the head. We have had her since she was only two months old, and she has never suffered any such blow as far as we are aware and she displays no outward signs of any neuralogical problems. Anyone else heard of anything similar in ANY breeds. My local vet has been reading up on it too, but nothing so far.

Asked by Shadow on Jan 15th 2009 in Health & Wellness

Answers

Honey

No, I have not heard of that. But, don't huskies sometimes have different colores eyes that is common? Maybe that is associated with it some how? I am not sure because I am not very familiar with the breed.

Honey answered on 1/15/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

While your vet is right that this kind of symptom is something that is usually associated with a head injury or neurological problem, there would most likely be many other symptoms that would have emerged over the years since you first noticed this and she'd have other issues such as loss of balance, trouble walking or focusing on things. You'd probably know if she had a neurological problem. Still, you could have an MRI at a specialist vet hospital to be sure if you want to rule it out.

It's also very possible that she has some kind of eye issue in which one eye refracts quicker than the other and leads to slightly different sized pupils in different lighting conditions.

I'm not sure if this is even possible to actually spot since problems like this are usually so tiny they can't normally be seen like that unless you know exactly what you're looking for.

If your vet comes up with nothing, definitely get a second opinion.

when our Sib puppy was about 4 months old we had a panic.Exactly the same : unequal pupils followed by emergency call to our vet.As a retired Accident and emergency senior nurse I was horrified, thinking major head injury or brain tumour at least.Our vet did a VERY thorough neurological assessment,found nothing and confessed to being baffled.But in the absence of other symptoms just be re assured and watch for change.That morning we had been playing a balance game with her using a large cardboard overlying a plastic bottle.So clearly her brain function was doing fine. It happened a couple more times and always no other problems.We bought a doggie calendar of husky pictures at Christmas and guess what......one of them has unequal pupils !! We've concluded that its nothing to worry about, just another reason to love the distinctive Sibs.Now this post only assures me we are right !!
Happy new year from Sapphire Snow Flower (now 10 months old)