Un neutered dog aggression

Our dogs gets real aggressive towards un-neutered dogs. All the dogs appears to be larger than him. Our dog is neutered. This happens at our dog park. He can play with any dog at the the park that wants to run with him but if he i guess smells something he runs over to the dog and confronts him face to face, growling, showing his teeth and a want to take him down in a fight. It is an un-neutered dog. He has gotten really bad in the past week. This behavior was not present say a month ago. he started this in the last few weeks. we must of missed something. now we do not know what to do. he has to go to the park to release his energy.

Asked by Member 905872 on Oct 28th 2009 in Behavior & Training

Answers

aggression can be caused by a number of things.
I would neuter him.
Neutering will not exclude the dominance or the alpha in a dog, but it should help lower his hormones within 30 day of doing so.
I think this is what I would do first.
Also he could be viewing the dog park as his property and he could be just starting a chain of aggression that may lead to hurting another dog.
I would take corrective action when he does this, I don't know much about dogparks but if he is off lead then correcting the problem is a problem.
The dog park is not for every dog. I don't know how to help you, but I think the problem is not going to go away

I have to be honest I go to the bark park everyday and an aggressive dog neutered or not is never welcome in the park. Your dog NEEDS to stay out of the park before he injures another dog or gets injured himself. Just because a dog starts a fight doesn't mean he will finish it. Your dog does not need to go to the bark park, take him for longer walks or runs, take him out morning and night. People managed years ago when off leash dog parks didn't exist.
Your dog seems to be the problem, so keep him out.

Yup, I agree with Doegie... don't take him to the park! I don't understand why everyone seems to think the only way to exercise a dog is at a dog park... my dogs get plenty of exercise daily and we have never been to a dog park... I believe dogs at a dog park are just waiting for an injury from a fight to happen. All dogs do not like each other... do all people like each other and play together...no, they do not and we don't expect them to, why do we expect our dogs to play together happily???

Katie

Dog parks are a great place for exercise and socialization, but it's vitally important for all owners to recognize the signs of impending aggression, and to have full recall of their own dog.

To learn about dog behavior, including warning signs of a fight, read The Other End of the Leash by Patricia McConnell, Ph.D., and Calming Signals: On Talking Terms with Dogs by Turid Rugaas.

Even neutered dogs can react aggressively to the scent of an intact male, but your dog needs to learn to come away when called.

To keep your dog and others safe, work on the "come" command in a non-distracting environment, like your back yard, then move to a long line at a park or school field, before trying it off-leash. See www.k9techsupport.com for step-by-step help.

When you're ready to visit the park again, if your dog gets aggressive, call him in a happy voice and run the other way. If he ignores you, leash him and leave immediately. Go back to step 1: "Come!"

Katie answered on 11/1/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer