umm i was wondering what is is better a boy or a girl dog?

Asked by Member 933666 on Dec 28th 2009 in Puppies

Answers

It really depends on the individual dog more than anything else.

In my personal experience, I've only ever had males, and all but one was neutered. It's not that I chose the boys on purpose or something, it's just one of those things that worked out that way. The girls are awfully sweet, too.

But again, it all boils down to the individual dog. There's no way to say if boys or girls are better.

Hailey May

I believe girls are easier to house train then boys. But they are both good, i guess it'll depend on the breed.

Hailey May answered on 12/28/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Black Jack

It's not as simple of a question as it seems. First of all how many other animals do you have and are they male or female? Sometimes if you have a male or female already in the house if you want to add another dog you'll have a better chance they will get along by going with the other gender. But there are exceptions. I have two males and they get along fine. So sometimes it just comes down to the dog.

Black Jack answered on 12/28/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

♥ Babe ♥

i personally like girl dogs better. but i am starting to get tired of girl dogs..HAHAHA cuz my last 3 dogs were female..i mean i have absolutly nothing against them. my next dogs are going to be a female bull terrier and a male bernese mountain dog and possibly a male papillon (SP?)

♥ Babe ♥ answered on 12/28/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Depends on the person somewhat and the dog, male or female, itself.
For myself, either one goes.

Jet

Good question. It depends on the individual dog. Boy dogs sniff crotches (the place between your legs), scent mark, hump, and more before neutering. If you don't spay a girl dog, they can have puppies and go into heat. Most dog places do not allow female dogs in heat, as the dog can have puppies when she is in heat and meets a male dog. Get your dog spayed/neutered and you can pick either one. It depends on what you want and the individual dog. I wanted a girl dog, but when I saw Jet, I loved him, so I chose him instead.

Jet answered on 12/29/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Zackintosh CJ

Just to clarify that, Jet, the things you listed a male dog does before neutering -females do that too, and males don't always stop after neutering.
But to answer the question -it doesn't have an answer. It depends on the individual dog and what the owner wants. Generally though, if they are fixed, they are about the same.
My two females seemed to know that they were girls, but my male dog is ready to play any time, and more willing to have fun. Females seem to take themselves more seriously. But thats just my experience, I certainly haven't experienced every dog on earth.

Zackintosh CJ answered on 12/29/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Good advice from the other posters. One thing to consider is how many dogs you have. A female with males will usually rise to an alpha bitch position in the pack & may try to maintain that position if you try to bring in another female. In our household we have one female and 3 males. They are all fixed except for the puppy (going in Jan for neutering) & they all get along fabulously. Otherwise it is just a question of preference!

If you get male or female I would spay them.
I prefer a female, but that is my choice for the breed.
I love my male dog who is a boston terrier.
They are both great dogs I can not say one is better then the other regardless of sex. I do prefer a female in german shepherds then males however.
It is personal choice I believe.
I tend to look to which personality I like when looking at dogs then persay being stuck on the sex of the dog.

Shiver Me Timbers

I've always been one to get attracted to the male dogs and their personalities. What it comes down to is personal preference and the personality of the dog. I got my Beagle at eight months old and it was a bit of a whim. But I loved his personality and how different he was from the stereotypical beagle. But that's not to say I've always had males. I currently have his girlfriend, a seven year old female Rottweiler named Maya and she is one of the best behaved dogs I have ever owned, with a great personality to boot!

Shiver Me Timbers "Charlie" answered on 12/29/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer