Two female dogs in one home?

I have a wonderful 3-year old female mixed-breed dog. I volunteer at our local shelter and there is a 7-month old mixed puppy there that I've fallen for hard. She is also a female. I've heard mixed things about two females living together. Does anyone know if it's ok to have two females in the house together?

Asked by Member 533670 on Dec 29th 2007 Tagged female, adoption, mixedbreeds in Choosing the Right Pet

Answers

Lady Ivana (Porscha) Pierrah

I haven't heard this. I have known of two females in the house before getting along fine. It is not like males who are somewhat territorial. I personally think if you want to adopt this dog, and give it a nice home. The two females just have to get used to each other, and they will.

Lady Ivana (Porscha) Pierrah answered on 12/29/07. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

Thalia Rose

It is totally ok to have 2 female dogs in your home as long as they both know that you are the "alpha" dog. For the past 22 years I have always had 2 female dogs in my home. The older dog gets to be beta dog and the younger gets to be gamma dog and yes there were times when the younger dog would challenge the older one but I always corrected them and they have been best of friends. Most important though is that you pay special attention to your 3 yr. old when the new pup comes.

Thalia Rose answered on 12/29/07. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

Marlowe, CGC

Two females can get along just fine. The problem arises if they do get a disliking for each other or are not compatible. Males tend to have more of a "live and let live" attitude when sharing a house with another dog they aren't overly fond of, but when females start for-real fighting it's often impossible to get them to stop. They hold grudges more than males do. With males you might have a squabble or two but then a couple days later they're best friends again. Often with females once the fighting starts, it doesn't stop.

Most of the time in houses with two females the fighting never even starts and there's no problem ever. It's rare for the fighting to happen, but if it does, it tends to be a more serious problem than two males.

Marlowe, CGC answered on 12/29/07. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 2 Report this answer

I think its more about personality than gender.

Also, assuming you have any and all dogs in the home (male or female) sterlized, it helps to control any kind of heat related behavioral triggers (i.e., fights!)

I have heard people say what you've heard about two female dogs not getting along, or two male dogs not getting along.

Trouble is that some people go by what they hear or one particular incident that they have experience with. Unfortunately, this can create an uneccessary stereotype which really has no basis in reality.

You can have any combination of dogs, both male and female get along or NOT get along. It has to do with the personality of the dog and the experience of the owners. Less imporant than gender is how the new dog is introuced into the "pack."

Talk w/a shelter volunteers who have spent time with the pup and see what their take on her personality is. Also, make sure they meet on neutral territory before you adopt.

Best of luck!!!

two females in a home i think would be fine together i have 2 females in my home and 1 male they all get along a big thing that does couse conflict is if they are fixed if they are you shouldnt have any problem and my personal opinion the best way to introduce 2 dog that will live in a home together is when they meet have them meet down the street from your home so they arnt on THEIR terrirory and your older dog doesnt feel like this other dog just come in but like i said thats my opinion if you do get the other dog let me know how they do!

Lucy

Two females should be fine. I am a female cocker spaniel adopted and then a couple months later my mom adopted another female cocker spaniel. We get along wonderfully. Unless your dog is aggressive anyway, they should be fine.

Lucy answered on 12/29/07. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Wizard of Dawz

You will hear all kinds of answers, but I have found that as long as they are spayed it isn't much of a problem. And as long as your current dog is introduced gradually to sharing her home you should be fine. In our home with 7 Cockers, 4 girls and 3 boys, it is the 2 youngest boys who will occasionally bicker, but at the end of the day they sleep ccuddled with each other!!

Wizard of Dawz answered on 12/30/07. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Ellie  Sec of state!

Well I have a female pittbull/lab mix(Ellie) and a chihuahua (Bailey)with a Nepolean complex who is the older dog and I had her first. When Ellie came Bailey tried to start a fight the 1st day but ellie was unsure of her surroundings she did nothing, same for second,by the third day Ellie decided she like us, Bailey challegene Ellie fought back. I immediately step in an corrected them pulling them apart! Since then peace.If Ellie is in a good mood, Bailey challenges,Ellie considers it playing, but if not she will growl back and Bailey goes to a seprate corner. So they have their understanding. I rescue belle another female Pitty, they wanted to kill each other. I sent Belle to a rescue for pittys. was my plan all along I just had to keep it long enough to get her shots then ship her to Canada pitbulls for life rescue. Ellie gets along with all other female dogs just not other who are Alfa dogs and Pitty females usually are.

Ellie Sec of state! answered on 12/30/07. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Dixie

I have 2 female dogs that live together. One is a puppy.

They get along just fine. They aren't even territorial with eath other, and they play often.

The older one is a border collie mixed with a lab. The puppy is a german shepherd mixed with a chow. Some breeds are more territorial to to the opposite gender, like the bordercollie.

Dixie answered on 12/31/07. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer