Twisted Stomach

My 6 year old rhodesian ridgeback had emergency surgery on Monday for a twisted stomach. The vet said we were very lucky, that we had caught it just in time before the blood supply to her stomach/intestines was compromised. She came home today, but she looks absolutely horrible. She is in so much pain, she can barely move. She won't even lift her head, or eat or drink. She is ice cold to the touch, despite being covered with blankets and having a heating pad. The vet said she can't have pain medication because it will increase her risk of internal bleeding. She looks like she wants to die :( has anyone experienced this before? How long before she starts looking a bit better? This is day 4 after the surgery - I really thought she would at least be able to stand/walk by now?

Asked by Member 1115697 on Jun 14th 2012 in Health & Wellness

Answers

She did have major surgery. Glad she pulled through. bloat is often fatal.

She can't take any pain pills, but the Vet could have put a fentinal patch on her.

If she seems worse call the Vet immediately.

Follow the post-op information sheet.

I agree with the other poster. If she isn't at least a little better by tomorrow, I would take her back to the vet. Good luck with her. :)

I would contact your vet...I have had two Labradors survive surgery for torsion and they were both pretty up and mobile within 48 hour from surgery. One of them had to have most of his stomach removed due to dead tissue and he was begging to be fed the next day!
It doesn't sound normal to be like you describe and I would definitely want her checked out again.
I would also inquire about injectable pain meds...there are plenty out there're that will not affect bleeding, tramadol is one commonly used in dogs with great success.

Its just so heartbreaking to see your pet in severe pain. Usually a pet takes 2 - 4 days to feel better after surgery and in the time of 3 weeks the pet starts to recover. The internal tissues take longer to heal. Dont worry you will see a difference in the health of your dog within a week.