Tuesday night my seemingly healthy 8 year old Rottweiler had a major seizure. He recovered and seemed to be okay.

Wednesday he had another seizure and we brought him to the vet. He had another seizure at the vet office. A blood test revealed that he had no blood platelets. He was in a coma and did not respond to anything that they did. We were told he was probably bleeding in his brain and lungs. He was having difficulty breathing. There was no hope so we had him put to sleep. I am heartbroken. What could have caused this.

Asked by Member 105646 on Sep 12th 2013 in Health & Wellness

Answers

Charlie

OMG! I am so sorry for your loss. This is what I found...I wonder if this is it? Your vet didn't say?
Auto-immune mediated anemia (IMHA) is a disease in which the body's immune system, which is designed to attack and kill germs, attacks and kills the body's own red blood cells. The attack begins when antibodies, which are molecules made by the immune system to target germs, instead attach to and target the animal's own red blood cells for destruction. The red blood cells carry oxygen to the tissues, and the animal cannot survive without adequate oxygenation of the tissues.

The causes of IMHA remain largely unknown. While some cases of IMHA may be associated with a triggering event (cancer, infection, and perhaps even vaccinations), these events do not explain why the immune system misdirects its arsenal of weapons against the animal it is meant to protect.

Charlie answered on 9/12/13. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

What did your veterinarian say? You received professional care, which includes professional diagnoses, etc.... Sorry for your loss. He may have been inbred if he did not come from a reputable breeder. ^_^