Treader LOVES the car, but whenever we start going somewhere he starts whining. Why?

I'm thinking that maybe he is anxious to get where we're going or that he see the trees and bushes that he'd like to go water.

Asked by Gray Dawn Treader on Jul 4th 2008 in Papillon (and Phalene)

Best Answer

Daisy~ CGC ♥ TDI

Hmmm... Daisy does the same thing everytime we pull into PetSmart. She always starts to whine and gets very excited.
So, if Gray is wagging his tail, and his ears are perked up... I would believe he is excited, and anxious to get to where he is going.

In any case, if you wish to cure this. Here is my advice.
Cover up your windows each with a blanket. Keep Gray away from the main window (which you look out) and drive a short distance. Keep him distracted with a rawhide bone, or favorite toy. Play some relaxing music. Him not being able to see anything, will not tick him to whine. I would say 99% of the time this works. Praise him for being a good boy and not barking and or whining. Gently pet him.
Maybe drive him to a dog park, or pet friendly park nearest you. Then play with him outside.
Eventually, start to decrease the blankets hanging from the windows. If he continues, put them up again. Don't say anything to him, just put them up.

Best of luck! Keep us updated! (:

Daisy~ CGC ♥ TDI answered on Jul 4th.

Answers

Roxie

You don't mention if Treader is crated during rides. It sounds like he is anxious and putting him in his crate with a chew toy or bone may help alleviate his whining. The other option is to use a squirt bottle with plain water and a hush when he whines and lots of praise when he stops. The problem with that is trying to drive and correct your dog at the same time could be a disaster if you're the one driving.

We Love Gray Dawntreader .............. He's so cute.

Roxie answered on 7/4/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

I did the exact same thing when I would go for car rides. I would bark and whine like crazy. I was whining because I was so excited to go for a ride, maybe Treader is doing the same thing. I dont think he would be anxious.

Roxy

I think it is because he is so excited and anxious. Is he crated? A crate may be the best thing for him. Soft music and a friendly tone could also help.

Good Luck!
Roxy

Roxy answered on 7/4/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer