Transfer of registered status to accredited breeders.

I recently took my male dog to an very well established breeder for breeding. The breeder insisted that I have to transfer registered status of the dog to the breeders kennel, in order to protect the breeders accredited status. As I have a reasonable relationship with the family I agreed to do this and signed the reg transfer forms. The deal was that the breeder can use our dog as an exclusive stud for an indefinate period, but he remains our family pet and we are compensated on the performance and delivery of the litters. However, I am becoming uncomfortable with the situation and would like the return of my animal, which seems to be delayed and delayed. Is this normal for accredited breeders to seek transfer of registration?

Asked by Member 1150163 on Jan 15th 2013 in Laws & Legislation

Answers

There is no such thing as an "accredited breeder", at least in the American Kennel Club. And, what does "well established" mean... showing, trialing, performance, or just breeding lots of dogs?
I was a breeder for over 35 years and I have NEVER heard of transferring a male to someone for breeding, nor would I EVER consider doing such a thing. If someone wants to use one of my studs, their female, FIRST OF ALL, must have all health and genetic testing done and pass these tests and show me the certificates, then the dog comes to me for an appraisal of her breeding quality. IF she passes, the stud fee is paid and she stays in my kennel for the breeding, then returns to her home after the breeding is done. NO WAY does my stud dog EVER leave my home for any breeding.
Sounds to me like a major ripoff and it looks like you have been taken. Did you keep a copy of those registration papers while they were still in your name? If not, it looks to me like you are out a dog.

Star BN RN RA

I also have never heard of an accredited breeder....most people have the female travel to the stud dog for breeding. Also there should be a stud contract which states your compensation and that all the proper health certifications were done.

Star BN RN RA answered on 1/17/13. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Sabi

It sounds like you gave away your dog, I agree with Toto, never heard of such a thing. I at one point debated leasing my dog to a breeder but it was a Lease, I would have retained ownership. I was also entitle to proof of health testing on her bitches, there was a limit to the number of breedings, I had the right to access and inspect her kennels, and I had the right to remove him at any time. I cannot imagine why you would believe that a transfer of ownership should happen. Or why it didn't occur to you to check into this before giving away your dog.

Sabi answered on 1/29/13. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer