Noelle

Training a dog to stay in yard(to use an e-collar or not)?

Two months ago, there was a car accident outside of my house which has left a large hole in my wooden fence. Since then, I have been letting Noelle out on a 16 ft retractable leash(ughh...) but I would prefer it if she could have more freedom to romp around and do her business.
We have talked to a trainer about using an e-collar(WITH training, we aren't going to just put it on her and expect it to work its magic)
I believe she would be fairly easy to property train as she has no distractions other than two certain dogs in my neighborhood. Other dogs, cats, rabbits, cars, etc don't phase her.
As of now, everybody has been walking her along the property line while she drags a 15 ft training lead and she does fine.
I think an e-collar might just make me feel alot more comfortable having her off leash ...
I just can't decide if I want to use an one or if I should continue to go with the method I am using?

Please don't bash e-collars.

Asked by Noelle on Mar 9th 2012 Tagged ecollars in Behavior & Training

Answers

Well we have no fence so I just use a 50ft leash. I would keep with the method you are using and not use the e-collar.

Why not fix the fence? I am sure you could get something to fix it very cheaply even if it was just temporary until you can fix the wood fence. Even chicken wire could be used.

Up to you.

I think ALL dogs should have training to build a strong recall when off-leash, even if the owner never intends to let them roam, because accidents WILL happen and you need to be prepared. I think most dogs have the capability to learn a reliable off-leash recall if the owner is skilled and consistent. I also just plain enjoy letting a dog have the freedom of being off-leash.

How you choose to train is up to you, you can build a strong recall using positive reinforcement methods too. Susan Garrett's "Recallers" program is an example of that.

I use an e-collar myself, but only as a fail-safe in case Bruno sees a animal and starts chasing. His recall was trained only with positive reinforcement and he is normally quite reliable when off-leash. I very rarely zap him.

One last word- a good ecollar (and the training to use it correctly) will probably cost more than fixing the hole in the fence. Mine retails for around 200, many are even more. Cheap ones aren't worth it.