Rufus

Training a coonhound mix?

I was wondering if anyone had any tips on training a 1.5 year old coonhound mix? We just got him from the shelter and he is slowly acclimating, but I want to set myself up as the alpha before he gets to use to things.

I am using a gentle leader on him now for walking. He is pretty much housebroken and is starting to respond to his new name, but we are still learning.

Also, are there any coonhound specific training books, websites, or groups? I am currently reading a Caesar Milan book.

Thanks!

Asked by Rufus on Feb 19th 2008 Tagged coonhound in Methods of Training

Best Answer

Marlowe, CGC

Congratulations on your new adoptee! Pretty soon you'll be a Canine Good Citizen, just like Marlowe!

With a hound, I'd actually put the Cesar Millan book down. Hounds are sensitive souls and also quite independent, and respond much better to honey than to vinegar in training. Look in to a book such as "The Power of Positive Dog Training" by Patricia Miller.

Your new hound will appreciate a predictable daily routine, clear and consistent rules, a gentle touch, and *lots* of positive reinforcement for doing the right thing. The way to any hound's heart is through his stomach, and there is nothing wrong with that. High prey drive dogs often have a major love for food because their bred-for job is, quite literally, searching for food. Use that trait to your advantage, don't try to fight it!

If you use *positive* training methods, you can start today! This way of training /creates/ trust and confidence, so there's no need to worry about building that before you begin.

Marlowe, CGC answered on Feb 19th.

Answers

I would recommend not to start training him until he trusts you.

Haus R.I.P. my boy I miss you

Right now I would worry about him getting healthy first let him settle in a bit then start with training in about a month.There are things that can be taught without going into to much training.Like being the provider of food. Sceduled feedings give 20 to eat then pick it up.teaching to sit,down and stand are the 1st few command to start with all of these cn be done on the house. I would be very careful on how much exposure he is having with other dogs when he is harboring an upper respitory infection.You never know if it can be transmitted to other animals in your area by the way of airborne particals.I would not be happy as a pet owner to see an infected dog walking around the neihborhood and infecting other dogs.Keep him home for a bit let him gain his health back then start training in a month. Set up a class session with him,get a clean bill of health before going.Just enjoy this time and try to bond,putting to much on him as a hound may make training harder.

Haus R.I.P. my boy I miss you answered on 2/19/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer