Kai

Tips for car ride anxiety?

My rescue girl has terrible anxiety associated with car rides. She shakes & drools excessively. I can't explain it, I've had her for a little over six months, car trips several times a week, always with positive results: parks, walks, beach, day care... I've also tried clicker training and treats for getting close to the car, trying to associate the vehicle with treats & pets... but nothing seems to help her. Any suggestions? Thank you in advance! :)

Asked by Kai on Apr 27th 2013 in Behavior & Training

Answers

Caspian

For some dogs, the car is a scary place. She might feel unsafe in the car. I would recommend crating her. Make sure she has toys and a comfortable blanket. Get her used to the inside of the car without it moving. Give her lots of pets and kisses. Once she is used to the car try going for short drives with her. She should warm up to the car as time goes by. If you are having trouble with getting her into or near the car, you need to get her used to outside of the car. I hope I helped :)

Caspian answered on 5/14/13. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer