The vet said my dog has a low red blood cell count. What exactly does this mean?

I got tests done after i noticed that my dog bella at one year old doesnt eat much and lays around mroe than she should. I noticed this ever since she was spayed. The blood tests showed her red blood cells are low. Ive heard that having this could be as a result to a more serious issue. Any help is welcome and appreciated.

Asked by Member 852382 on Jul 6th 2009 Tagged bloodcellcount, noteating, anemic in Illness & Disease

Answers

Patchs

a low red blood cell count is very serious and requires treatment.

What did the vet say? What did he/she suggest as a treatment?

Patchs answered on 7/7/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Haus R.I.P. my boy I miss you

kEEPING AN EYE ON THIS IS THE BEST ADVICE.wORK WITH OUR VET ON DOING BLOOD WORK ONCE A WEEK,THINGS CAN CHANGE VERY FAST SO ONCE A WEEK IS NOT OUT OF THE QUESTION.tHIS DISORDER CAN MEAN A BUNCH OF THINGS FROM AND AUTO IMMUNE DISORDER TO A REACTION TO THE SEDATION SHE WAS UNDER OR EVEN A REACTION TO A MEDICATION SHE WAS GIVEN. i WISH YOU THE BEST.

Haus R.I.P. my boy I miss you answered on 7/7/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

Princess

This is something that you should've asked your vet as your dog was getting diagnosed. Low red blood cell count-- concentration of platelets, which are blood cells that promote blood clotting after injury to the lining of the blood vessels. When the concentration of platelets becomes too low, bruising and bleeding may occur. Dogs with blood platelet concentrations of less than 40,000 per microliter of blood are at risk for spontaneous bleeding.
Abnormally low platelet numbers in blood can be caused by a variety of disease processes. These include failure to produce new platelets in the bone marrow, premature destruction of circulating platelets often by the body's own immune system, sequestration or storing of platelets in organs, and consumption of platelets at a rate that exceeds production in the bone marrow.
Dogs of either gender, any age and any breed can suffer from thrombocytopenia.
The severity of bleeding associated with thromboc

Princess answered on 7/7/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

I'm sure the vet would have explained if you asked him. Not attempting to be rude, just trying to save you the trouble of asking this here next time you want to know what he means.

Dog health isn't as confusing as we make it; but we take their health for granted. However, a good vet can advise you of medical treatments, effects, and costs. ALSO-in addition to medical prescriptions, you might, as I have done, speak with a natural health nutrition. My dog was diag. with the same thing, and being treated for his kidney/liver. He is on medication from the vet. I also feed him natural/herbal foods recommended from a veg. nutrition doctor. My vet. ensured me what was recommended from the veg. nutrition doctor was ok. My dogs medical condition has stablized, the vet noted that he'll be around for a little while longer. Three months ago, he was given 2-3 weeks to live. Also-praying helps.